The spacebar key appears to be permanently stuck down on my laptop. However, I have completely removed the keyboard and the spacebar is still being pressed. So, it appears to be a software problem. I have also reinstalled the keyboard driver but no improvement. Any ideas on how to solve this problem would be great appreciated?

It is a Toshiba satellite laptop running Windows XP.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

It could be driver problem or even virus... Test if this still happens under Safe Mode...

have you reinstall the keyboard drivers again? I think this is not a virus issue. There must be some hardware issue otherwise the spacebar button never stuck and probably you lost your keyboard drivers.[spam link removed]

have you reinstall the keyboard drivers again? I think this is not a virus issue. There must be some hardware issue otherwise the spacebar button never stuck and probably you lost your keyboard drivers.[snipped spam]

spammer,thanks

It might still be a hardware issue, even if it isn't located directly in the keyboard.
I suggest you try to boot from a linux-distro cd, or hirens boot cd, to test if the error is persistent.
If not a hardware issue, I think you should first try to create a new user account (and log in to that acc.), to see if the windows installation is working, and if the problem is related to the user account (might be some weird corruption in system files on the user account). Or, you can just rename the "user account"-folder if you boot to mini-xp from Hirens cd, and log in again as the user.
The user account folder is usually located in C:\documents and settings\

Hiren's boot cd download

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.