ok im a way newbie at all this so be patient with me please.
whne i boot my computer up and log into my profile the only thing that shows up besides my wallpaper is a registry keys box, my explorer.exe will not load on its own i have to do the ctrl+alt+del to get the task manager then run new task to get my explorer to load. after i do that it runs fine until we log off then we go thru the same thing again.
i have a lot of disk space left (my puter says im only using 3%) on my puter but its running very slow too. if anyone can offer me any insight on how i may fix this problem i would appreciate it.

my os is windows xp pro
i use nortons antivirus 2005, microsoft antispyware, web root spysweeper daily ( as in actually scan the puter). if i need to give u anymore info please let me know what info and maybe how to find that info as well please.

Recommended Answers

All 22 Replies

In MSCONFIG did you turn off rundll32 from starting, I believe explorer will not work if you do that. Odd Problem.

i havent turned anything off. but how would i check to see if it is off?

the only thing that shows up... is a registry keys box

A what?? Can you please clarify that with more detail?

1. Does the computer/Explorer run properly when booted into Safe Mode? (you get to the safe mode boot option by hitting the F8 key as your computer is starting up).

2. Open the Event Viewer utility in your Administrative Tools control panel and look through your System and Application logs for entries flagged with "Error" or "Warning" which might be related to the Explorer problem. Double-clicking on such an entry will open a properties window with more detailed information on the error; post that info here. To do so:

In the Properties window of a given entry, click on the button with the graphic of two pieces of paper on it; the button is at the right of the window just below the up arrow/down arrow buttons. You won't see anything happen when you click the button, but it will copy all of the details to the Windows clipboard. You can then paste the details into your next post here.

If Explorer doesn't start automatically the registry key that takes care of that might have the wrong value:

The key is:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon

And the value is shell="explorer.exe"

A what?? Can you please clarify that with more detail?

1. Does the computer/Explorer run properly when booted into Safe Mode? ...

the registry editor thing i get when the puter first boots is attatched as a doc wasnt sure how else to do it. it happens on all profiles safe mode or regular. and i wasnt real sure waht i was supposed to be looking for in the event viewer please remeber im a newbie at all this.

And the value is shell="explorer.exe"

should it have the " " around it? if not then its not been tampered with

The "registry keys box" shown in your screenshot is the Registry Editor utility. The other odd thing I notice in the screenshot you attached is that the computer is not booted into Windows normally, but is booted into Safe Mode instead. Does it always boot into Safe Mode, or did you do that intentionally?

Does it always boot into Safe Mode, or did you do that intentionally?

i booted it in safe mode intentionally. but thats the box we get everytime we boot up and then we have to do the ctrl + alt+ del to get to task manager then file, run task and then list explorer.exe for the explorer to load.

Make a backup of your data to CD or email it to yourself!

This is what I would do if I could not reinstall Windows from scratch. Go to the Control Panel and remove Norton a/v. Then remove any other non-essential or free software from Add/Remove Programs. My bet is Norton a/v is causing some hook called during the launch of the process explorer.exe not to be able to load which then causes explorer to fail...if that sounds like jargon then simply know this...Norton is a flaming pile of crap and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy. Sure it may be protecting you but often times that translates to you don't get to use your PC either...THANKS NORTON, you hack! Try the ASaP a/v from McAfee, $40 for 3 computers and it only runs two small programs to manage a/v. Norton's Internet Security runs like 10 processes, chugs memory, hooks WMI, hooks into your network stack and generally just bungs up Windows IMO. Sorry if I seem a little too "anti-Norton" but after going to battle with this crappy software enough times you start to get a little psycho about it.

If it still doesn't work after removing Norton then do a repair of Windows. You won't lose your data but you might have to reinstall some programs and SP2 for things to work right again. To do the repair you boot of an XP CD (you will need your license key) and it will run you through set up and when it looks for (and hopefully finds) your previous Windows installation you have the option of repairing it. Good luck!

I tried changing the registry thing and it worked! Every time I log on or re-start my comp I don't have to press CTRL+ALT+DEL!! Thanks SO MUCH!

Try this,

Start > Run > msconfig

In General tab, select Normal Startup. That should do take care of the problem...

Woops, see I'm late to the party, lol...
Glad you got it fixed!

If all these suggestions for someone didn’t help then there is one more thing. Make sure the registry key looks like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe

Not for example c:\windows\system32\sdra64.exe (Trojan)

After changing the reg key (and removing all the s**t from PC) Explorer.exe loaded at startup with no problems.

If all these suggestions for someone didn’t help then there is one more thing. Make sure the registry key looks like this:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]
"Userinit"="C:\\WINDOWS\\system32\\userinit.exe

Not for example c:\windows\system32\sdra64.exe (Trojan)

After changing the reg key (and removing all the s**t from PC) Explorer.exe loaded at startup with no problems.

This worked for me, thanks a million! Was set to c:\windows\system32\win32avs.exe, for me

the problem is a software compatibility issue. sometimes, xp has trouble starting certain programs and loading up xp at the same time. here's how to solve this annoying pain. first boot computer. when your desktop shows up, open task manager by pressing the ctrl+alt+delete keys. in the processes tab go to explorer.exe and end it by highlighting the program line and clicking "end process" once you've done that, go to "file" and "new task (run)" click "browse" and right click on any of the files listed and go to "open" or "explore" then, presto! your desktop should return to normal. this will have to be done every time. an alternative method is to log onto your account at startup, but wait 30 or 40 seconds before typing in your user name and password. other than these processes, you will have to reinstall xp to fix. get back to me and let me know how this works for you.

ok im a way newbie at all this so be patient with me please.
when i boot my computer up and log into my profile the only thing that shows up besides my wallpaper is a registry keys box, my explorer.exe will not load on its own i have to do the ctrl+alt+del to get the task manager then run new task to get my explorer to load. after i do that it runs fine until we log off then we go thru the same thing again.
i have a lot of disk space left (my computer says im only using 3%) on my computer but its running very slow too. if anyone can offer me any insight on how i may fix this problem i would appreciate it.

my os is windows xp pro
i use nortons antivirus 2005, microsoft antispyware, web root spysweeper daily ( as in actually scan the puter). if i need to give u anymore info please let me know what info and maybe how to find that info as well please.

Yeah i have had this problem before easy fix download Combo fix just go here: http://download.bleepingcomputer.com/sUBs/ComboFix.exe
they have program save as Comfix.exe i recommend you have everything else off especially anti-virus software. Run it as admin when downloaded it will open blue box that's normal just let it scan don't touch nothing while scanning after its completed you might have to restart if not their will be a log after scan saying if you were infected it will says objects deleted after that i suggest registry scan Uniblue registry boosters great do that then restart should work any problems just reply again.

The OP last posted on Feb 22nd, 2006, why is everyone trying to tell her how to fix her machine now???

fuck this all,this not the solution all we need is xp cd to reinstallation of window or repair,all have been to no. of sites none works

hello there i have same problem in my win 7 ultimate os.it was ok couples of days before and these days when i try to open the system i can access upto logon screen and after when windows try to open then Explorer stops responding. I tried to re run the explorer from task manager but it says Explorer stops responding. but i can open in safe mood and other thing is i even have done restore and the crap remain same. I am pretty sure that i havent even touched the registry.....I have been struggling and trying to find out solution whole day sitting in my butt and browsing internet.:(( Please help me somebody.....

Hi All

There are a lot of helpful suggestions here but i'm not sure which is the right one for me?

Explorer.exe does not load on startup regardless of which user i try
Safe mode boots normally
In normal mode when i try and start explorer.exe through the taskmanager i get a "access denied" message for each user
I can start explorer via a usb stick
I copied explorer.exe from the usb to the hard drive(overwrite) but it still does not load on startup?

I have ran Malwarebytes/antivirus but still the problem persists

Any help really appreciated

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.