Hello everyone. My name is Anthony and I have a Sony VAIO, with Windows XP Home Edition. This morning I woke up and my computer had froze-up/was unresponsive. I had a peer-to-peer running and the numbers (speed I was receiving the files) was changing but I couldn't do anything. I couldn't even restart the computer using CTRL+ALT+Delete. So instead I held the power button in until it restarted, somethings I've done before with no problems. Now, however I get this message:

We apologize for the inconvenience, but Windows did not start successfully. A recent hardware or software change might have caused this.

If your computer stopped responding, restarted unexpectedly, or was automatically shut down to protect your files and folders choose Last Known Good Configuration to revert to the most recent settings that worked.

If a previous starup attempt was interrupted due to a power failure or because the Power or REset button was pressed, or if you aren't sure what caused the problem, choose Start Windows Normally.

Safe Mode
Safe Mode With Networking
Safe Mode With Command Prompt

Last Known Good Configuration (your most recent setting that worked)

Start Windows Normally
I have tried all of the options, beginning with Last Known Good Configuration, Safe Mode, and Start Windows Normally and then moving on in frustration, but none of the options works. What happens is when I select an option, the computer reboots and then the above screen appears again. I tried making a virus checker boot disk on another computer to run on mine but it didn't work (AVG free/home edition). I haven't made any hardware changes and the only software changes I've made recently are updates to my spyware and ant-virus programs. I did download the Windows update that was recently released, but so did my roommate and his computer is running fine. Windows XP came preinstalled on my computer so I don't have the exact disk to work with. I do have a Windows XP CD, which I was going to use to repair any problems but when I boot from it I get this message:

Trap 0000000D=================General Protection Fault===========================

tr=0028 cr0=00000011 cr2=00000000 cr3=00000000
gdt limit=03FF base=00017000 idt limit=07FF base=00017400
cs:eip=0008:00317206 ss:esp=0010:0061FEF errcode:2200
flags=00010006 NoCy NoZr IntDis Down TrapDis
eax=000011E ebx=00301280 ecx=00001517 edx=534D0074 ds=0010 es=0010
edi=30128D00 esi=00051D68 ebp=00061FEF cr0=00000011 fs=0030 gs=0000
I don't know if that means anything but I included just in-case. On my computer I have AVG as my main virus protection, I also have an outdated McAfee. I have Spybot, Ad-Aware, and CWShredder, and Mircosoft's Beta Anti-Spyware program all of which I run and update on a regular basis. I've checked all the connections and plugs and they all seem to working fine as does the cooling fan. I've disconnected my computer from the Internet as well but that hasn't had any effect. Any help or suggestions you could give me would be greatly appreciated. I will try to answer any questions you may about my computer, but I don't know how much I can provide without being able to access my desktop. Thanks a lot to everyone in advance.

Anthony

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

If you have the windows xp cd you can use it to repair your system using the Recovery Console as Safe Mode and the Last Known Good Configuration are not working anymore.

Follow this article: http://www.toughadmin.com/article.php?article=System

Which describes a recovery process for this kind of problems.

Thanks but I have tried using the Windows XP cd, but I get that error message I have listed above.

If it gives you errors inside the windows setup it might be a hardware issue.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.