hello, yeah im having the same problem, my win xp wont show D drive in my computer, and even after i put a cd in, it spins but it wont read it. I'm sorry im replying on the same threat, when u just asked some1 else to make a new one, but i dnt know how! how do u post new threads :S (SORRY)
thnk you xx

PS i did go to desktop, clicked right click on my comuter, searched Device Manager and yes, there was a yello "!"
what is that mean?

Recommended Answers

All 27 Replies

oh yeah and when i right click the d drive in Device Manager, it says "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing. (Code 39)" what is that mean?

how do u post new threads

Near the top of each forum's main window, just above the list of threads, there is a button labelled "Post a New Thread". Clicking that button opens up a "Post New Thread" window where you can compose your message and give it a title. Once you've finished composing your post, just click on the button below the message window labelled "Submit New Thread". That's all.

In terms of your actual problem though:

One common cause, and the fix, are described in this article in Microsoft's KnowledgeBase:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/q270008/

Although the article pertains to Win 2000, I've seen the problem occur with XP as well; the fix described for Win 2000 works for XP. You may need to reboot after performing the fix.

Please note that although the article only refers to the "UpperFilters" and "LowerFilters" entries in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet registry subkey, I've had to apply the fix to the similar entries (if found) in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet00x subkeys as well in order to make it work.

ok well im useless with computers and theres no1 to help me :( it told me to:
"1. Remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely from the following registry key:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Class\{4D36E965-E325-11CE-BFC1-08002BE10318}
NOTE: If you are getting a code 39 message (thats what i got) it may be that additional third-party filter drivers were added to UpperFilters and LowerFilters values in addition to Adaptec filter drivers. In that case, you may try to remove the non-Adaptec filter drivers first, leaving the Easy Creator filters in place to see if the Code 39 goes away. If you still receive an error code 39, 32, or 31 message, remove the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters values completely in the preceding key. 2. Restart your computer"

what OR where are the Upperfilters and Lowerfilters?
ive no idea what to do! i need some kind of "steb by steb" instructions :cry: :sad:

OH! i got it! ...but I'm stuck :S
what do i dowith upperfilter and lowerfilter? do i right click them and delete them both completely?
what is the difference bewteen the Key or the Multi-String Values and the data values

PS thank you very much for making a new thread for me!! muchly appreciated xxx

Ok I Done It! My D Drive Is Back In My Computer! Thank You Very Much For Your Help :d *huggles*

Good job; glad you got it :)

oh would you guys know anything about not being able to burn CD's on windows media player after you fix ur D drive! >:(
grr! thats soo annoying. i wanted to make a Cd for some1 and the windows media player says theres "no CD or dvd burner has been dedected"

I'd start by completely uninstalling WMP through your Add/Remove Programs control panel and then downloading and install a fresh copy of the program.

oh ok! thank you, i will try that

and another odd question; you know when u go to google, or go to address bar or any bar, when u type something you've typed before (a word or address) it automaticly searches it for you, how do i get rid of this "memory"
I deleted cookied and files in Internet Options, but it still pops. up. :S thanks xxx
u guys are helpfull

...when u type something you've typed before (a word or address) it automaticly searches it for you...

That feature is called AutoComplete; here's what you need to do to clear its history of visited sites:

- Open Internet Explorer, click the Tools menu, and then click on Internet Options.

- In the Internet Options window, click the content tab, and then click on the Autocomplete button.

- In the resulting window, click "Clear forms" to clear all form data except for passwords and/or click "Clear Passwords" to clear the passwords.

If you don't want IE to use AutoComplete in the future, uncheck all of the boxes in the "Use Autocomplete for" section.

oh ok thanks, i just followed what u told me to do.
I was also wondering if you could delete that memory, so when you press the arrow at the end of your adddress bar the list of all the websites ive been on still appeares.

I was also wondering if you could delete that memory...

Oh right; I forgot to post that info:

The list of visited sites is in your C:\Documents and Settings\Your_User_Name\Local Settings\History folder, and you can clear it by doing the following:

Go to the Internet Options again and this time click on the General tab. Click on the "Clear History" button in the bottom section of the General tab to erase the stored list of visited sites.

ok, so i uninstalled windows media player, and tried to install it again from microsoft site, but as soon as the download/set up finishes, it says that it wasn't installed propperly :S
i downloaded it 3 times, and it says the same message :S

Please post the exact and complete message.

"Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
Do you want to install the Player from Microsoft Web site?
YES NO"

that message appears when i right click on a music file and choose WMP.

Windows Media Player is not installed properly and must be reinstalled.
Do you want to install the Player from Microsoft Web site?
YES NO

this is what appears, after i right click on a music file, and choose windows media player

yeah i tried to download WMP again, and this is what the message said after installing.

This version on Windows Media Technologies is incompatible with this version of windows. For more information, view the informataion at the Microsoft web site
CANCEL DETAILS

i have win xp, and it always worked fine whenever i downloaded WMP10
what do i do?
i wanna listen to my music!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For the WPM 10 error, try the following:

1. There is an issue with corruption of the C:\Windows\System32\wmploc.dll file, which can cause the error you're getting.
You may have a backup of the wmploc.dll file elsewhere on your computer. If so, replace the version of the file in C:\Windows\System32\ with a copy of the backup, reboot, and try the WMP 10 installation again.

2. Run the System File Checker to check for and replace missing or corrupt Windows files which may be causing error. The following article on Microsoft's KnowledgeBase has more details on the proceedure:
http://www.microsoft.com/windows/windowsmedia/knowledgecenter/mediaadvice/0073.mspx

ok, so i downloaded the WMP and i can listen to my music :D but still i cannot burn music onto CDs

:(

but still i cannot burn music onto CDs

- Is it only WMP that won't burn? If you have other burning programs installed, try one of those and let us know the result.

- Are you having trouble burning any kind of CD, or is it just audio CDs?

- Have you checked through your burning software's preferences and configuration settings to make sure that the CD burner is correctly recognized and configured?

- What does happen when you try to rip a CD? Give us exact details please.

when i open WMP and go to/click BURN below it says:

"No CD or DVD burner has been detected. Press F5 to refresh player."

So i click F5 but nothing changes.

Also how do i change the settings?

I can play games alright and I can RIP music off CDs

I tried to burn my music onto a CD without WMP, by sending selected songs to CD Drive (D:/), them click "write these files to CD" but it says "there is no disc in the drive. Please insert a writeable CD into drive D:/"

I am sure that i put in a new, just bought writeable cd. I don't understand that I can play music and rip the music of CDs but not burn music onto CDs :(
could that just mean that my burner is just broke? :S

Here's a solution which will work for anyone -101% !!!! for the following errors in XP:-

"No CD or DVD burner has been detected" in Windows Media Player, "E:\not accessible", " Send to CD-RW" missing, Simple copy, cut paste to CD - RW drive missing.

Solution:

Step 1: Click Control Panel
Step 2: Click Administrative Tools
Step 3: Click Services
Step 4: Look for Name IMAPI CD Burning Services
Step 5: Double Click on the Name which is described as Manual.
Step 6: Change it to Automatic & click Apply
Step 7: Restart your computer
Step 8: Let me know your thoughts :-) :mrgreen: :cool:

Here's a solution which will work for anyone -101% !!!! for the following errors in XP:-

"No CD or DVD burner has been detected" in Windows Media Player, "E:\not accessible", " Send to CD-RW" missing, Simple copy, cut paste to CD - RW drive missing.

Solution:

Step 8: Let me know your thoughts :-)

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

Solution:

ok so i followed your instructions, but still it didnt detect the CD to burn things to so I click F5 and a message shows up:
The RPC servicer is unavailable

So i turned m computer off and waited the next day (today) and when i went on WMP another, different message showed up :S
WMP was not closed properly. A damaged or incompatible plug-in might have caused the problem to accour. As precuation, all optional plug-ins have been disabled
But the music is on... :S

what is your CD drive?? External or Internal? If you get an error message as
"there is no disc in the drive" could be 2 reasons - 1) Bad disc (Try a new fresh blank CD which was never attempted to write / read ) 2) Power required (If external Drive - Power cable along with USB has to be plugged in)

Also you may want to try burning with Real Media player or Winamp when your CD Drive is automatically detecting Blank CDs....

I already fixed the problem where my laptop didnt recognise the CD drive at all, it wasnt even in My Computer, but it works ok now. I can play games, play music onm it, rip music onto my laptop, I just can't burn it onto CDs. I did use more than 2 brand new clean CDs but WMP didnt detect any. And also I tried do it manually by sending selected tracks onto the CD but it still hasnt detect it.
2) Power required (If external Drive - Power cable along with USB has to be plugged in)
My CD drive is internal I think, as in it's build in my laptop you mean?
And i will follow your advise on using RMP and possibly WinAMP

thank you for your help :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.