I was doing a 'search' on my winxp pc, and accidentally found this file folder C:\Program Files\MAV and mavinst.exe. i am baffled as to what this file/program could be. Anyone here..any ideas? Thanks for all your help.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Find info here

Usually this is located under %WINDIR%\System32 folder. If found elsewhere, then probably is a virus.

I'll suggest to run a full disc scan booting from a clean OS.

Hope this helps

RightClick mavinst.exe and check the properties for ID info.

Due to the location of the file/folder, this is likely a component of a rogue anti-spy app.

You ought to upload mavinst.exe to http://virusscan.jotti.org/en for analysis and post back with the results.

Cheers :)
PP

Many thanks for replies. How do I upload mavinst.exe (found in C:\Program Files\mavinst.exe) to virusscan.jotti.org to be scanned?

Many thanks for replies. How do I upload mavinst.exe (found in C:\Program Files\mavinst.exe) to virusscan.jotti.org to be scanned?

Just go to Jotti or virustotal and click the browse button to navigate to the file and then click submit.

PP:)

RightClick mavinst.exe and check the properties for ID info.

Due to the location of the file/folder, this is likely a component of a rogue anti-spy app.

You ought to upload mavinst.exe to http://virusscan.jotti.org/en for analysis and post back with the results.

PP

PP: Many thanks for your reply. Its been several weeks since I submitted the file to virusscan.jotti.org and never did get an answer. I did a scan with Malwarebytes/SuperAntispyware/and Avira and no virus was detected so I am hoping this means that the file is legitimate.

PP: Many thanks for your reply. Its been several weeks since I submitted the file to virusscan.jotti.org and never did get an answer. I did a scan with Malwarebytes/SuperAntispyware/and Avira and no virus was detected so I am hoping this means that the file is legitimate.

The results from Jotti and Virustotal are pretty much immediate unless there is a long queue of uploaded files waiting to be scanned. Both sites tell you where you are in line - usually there is no line and your file will begin being scanned as soon as the upload is finished.
The process takes only a minute or so.

PP

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.