Hello. My XP was getting a blue screen that said "Bad System Config" and kept the computer from booting. I first installed a new ram, and the problem still existed. Then I wiped the system and did a complete reinstall, and it worked for a day or two, but now the problems are back. The computer just randomly restarts. Sometimes, it won't boot at all. It comes up with the "Start Windows Normally/Last Good Config/Safe Mode etc" screen. Sometimes no matter which option you chose, it will just restart and make it back to that same screen. The only time I get it to start is sometimes, safe mode works. Then in safe mode, I'll press "restart" and the computer will finally start normally.
And when it does, I get the message, "One of the files containing the system's registry data had to be recovered by use of a log or alternate copy. The recovery was successful."

Here's what Im thinking, computer is restarting instead of a blue screen because of the setting on the computer which sets to automatically restart it. How do I change this setting?
Now, I know this probably not enough info for you to help, so whatever info you need, I can definitely give it to you. Any ideas what the problem is? Could it be a piece of hardware?

Thank you so much for reading all that, I'm not a computer whiz.
-Noah

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

If you have a spare hard disk, try to install windows on that and see if you get the same problem again. If so then it could be the Motherboard as well (had that with an old one for the random restarts), else if your computer works on fine, then it was your hard disk itself with the problem.

also try hitting f8 on bootup it may give you the option to change the setting on the auto reboot .if not if you can get into windows ,right click on mycomputer /properties /go to the advanced tab ,and go to startup and recovery and settings ,its in there to uncheck

also if you can get into windows try bluescreen viwer to get the mini dump info .==================
This facility will produce similar results, mainly if it is the result of Blue Screen problems. It creates minidumps.

Download BlueScreenView:
http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/blue_screen_view.htmlthe download link is way down the bottom of the page
unzip downloaded file and double click on BlueScreenView.exe to run the program.
when scanning is done, go to EDIT - Select All
Go to FILE - SAVE Selected Items, and save the report as BSOD.txt
Open BSOD.txt in Notepad, copy all of the content, and paste it into your next reply

Thank You -

have you added any new hardware?

i think you have hardware problem... my first guest is harddisk drive.. please listen to your harddisk drive if you hear clicking sound... it might be a bad HDD...

I recently experienced a problem while helping someone install windows XP

He brought me his HDD and asked me to install windows XP Sp2 the disc works and it does not have any problems with it.

After the full installation the windows would start up normally but if I boot the HDD by its self without any drive except the one which I installed the windows on it would give me an error
"insert system diskette and press enter key to reboot"

Want has been checked
1)Yes windows is install on the right drive
2)yes the drive is set to master
3)yes the cables is connected properly
4) yes the HDD works I can access it if its a slave drive
5) it had Operating System on before
6)my own HDD works properly with the same Operating System

You might check that the drive the system is on [boot drive] is set to Active. Confirm too that the BIOS boot order is correct.

do a fix boot fix mbr and then respond

is this related to the issue above

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.