I am currently running Windows 7 Home Premium SP1, AMD FX-6100 Six-Core Processor 3.3 GHz, 8.00 GB RAM, 64-bit OS. My problem occurs while running Excel and Word 2007. However, all systems with 2007 or 2010 office have the same issues in our office.(Some are XP, Windows 7 and one Vista) We are using a Seagate NAS for the file storage and have been trying to use the recycle bin as intended with these drives to catch any good files from being deleted. However, every time a .xlsx or .docx file is opened an exact copy of the file is made that starts with (~$ + filename). Now the drive only allows you to filter files by extension and not how the file name starts. Is there a way to stop these files from being created? I have turned off the autosave feature without any change. I also have looked to see if AVG was causing this issue but the same thing happens with or without AVG active.

I do currently have the drive delete any .tmp files that excel/word creates during save operations. These disappear properly but we do not intend to keep any .tmp files. The .xlsx or .docx files can not be filtered since most files used are in this format and only the ones starting with ~$....xlsx/.docx are to be filtered.

Does anyone know how to stop ~$... files from being created? This will then not require the files to be deleted.

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

the answer is no

that is how it works

Those files are temporary files that are made by any office program. As soon something looks slightly different to the original it is technically a different document and is treated as such and goes away after you close that document that is open.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.