Hey, I've had this problem once before, and im not exactly sure how it was fixed.. but it's back. Theres nothing I can think of that might have caused it, except maybe a power outage or something. Whenever I click on volume control, it says "There are no active mixer devices available..." like there is no speakers, but my speakers are practically new and work fine. Also, when I click on the volume controls, my speakers make the "error" sound. Also, when I try to play a game, listen to music, or something else involving sound nothing comes out. Another interesting thing - When I first start the computer and all the programs load up, my spyware protections, etc, if I open up iTunes or a game or something, the sound will work as long as it is held open. But if I wait like 5 minutes or come out of a game and go into another, the sound will not work. Any ideas? Also, if it involves re-installing something, do I need to find the CD for my speakers? Or something else? I'm not great with those things, so details on where to find things, sound card, etc, would be helpful. Thank you. :)

Recommended Answers

All 110 Replies

I found a fix!

I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.
But thanks to some tech help from another site, the fix was pretty easy.

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Hope this works for you, too.

I found a fix!

I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Dear Kurama52

Thanks for posting the fix. I had been struggling for over a week now with the same problem on my IBM Thinkpad R51. Thanks. Will keep you posted with any followup observations.

Thanks. It worked.

Thank's, this fix worked for me also. Fo some reason the sound went poof. When I followed your instructions I found the sound system in stop, restart and all is well...again.
Thank you again

Jim

I found a fix!

and click on Properties.

-- voila! -- it worked.)

Thanks a million!! This solution has worked for me!! yay i have tunes at work again!! You've made my day :cheesy:

Good if your problem is resolved.

You Are Fabulos That worked great

Thanks a million!! This solution has worked for me!! yay i have tunes at work again!! You've made my day :cheesy:

im havin this problem right now, all the things you guys said to do were already working i stil cant figure it out
help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hello I'm new here and glad to be here...
Anyway I got a problem right now it's that I have unfortunatly removed my audio and sound devices which I don't recall the name...
And now when I want to adjust the sound volume I get "There are no active mixer devices" and don't have sounds anymore on my laptops
Toshiba A55 Satellite and I have Win Xp.
So may you help me please? How and where get news devices sound and audio?

You will need to reinstall your sound drivers.

Check the manufacturers website or else tell me the exact make and model of your laptop and i will look for a link.

My Laptop is a Toshiba Satellite A55-S106 and I got Windows Xp.

Check the manufacturers website or else tell me the exact make and model of your laptop and i will look for a link.

:)thx you really helped me!!!

Hi,
I was having problem with the audio device (drivers) was not able to hear sound. Everytime i clicked the volume control the message was displayed, there is no active mixer devices available. In the Audio section of the device manager, no option for updatng driver or unistalling the driver was diaplyed. So i started the laptop in Safemode and i could find both the options in the device manager( update driver and uninstall driver). I unistalled the audio drivers (Audio Codecs and one more related to it).
Now i am unable to find the match for it and the system is not responding to Scan for hardware changes (in the device manager section). Kindly advice.
the configuration of my Laptop is:
1. Its of DELL
2. Genuine Intel (R) CPU
3. T2300 @1.66GHz
4. 980 MHz
Please advice
Thanks,
Nitish

Kurama52, thank you so much. You've made my day. I've been fighting with this problem for weeks.

ya, it work extremely well

just services, and activate it

I believe the reason is power outage too -- as I don't have battery plug into my notebook and unplug the power supply too quickly

this work magic

Thanks. It worked.

hi kurma,
i did the same and my sound started as well but the problem is i have to start the service everytime i start the system plz help me it has been big headache for me

prad

I found a fix!

and click on Properties.

-- voila! -- it worked.)

It needs to be set to aurtomatic and then started

hello ,
i set it to automatic and then i started the servce but now i have to start the service evrytime i start the system i dont know what to do .plz help me out

prad

hey I am sort of having a similar problem to these guys...

Um... I was deleting stuff off the computer and accidently deleted the sound program mixer thing... haha... And I have been racking my brains because I can't remember what it was called and I can't seem to download any sound mixing programs or audio drivers or anything that help it... it just won't work... I am soooo frustrated...

I can't even find what type of computer it is... there's no name on the hard drive at all...

I have windows XP... if that helps and I have speakers... they just aren't working...

Please please help me... I need music!!!

i have exactly the same problem after reinstalling windows on my computer after several crashes. Since i'm basically a computer non-whiz i have no idea what my sound card was or anything.

After struggling to find the spec of my computer ive found it out:

Evesham Axis 64 MKR (Apr 05)
AMD Athlon 64 Processor 3200+ with HT technology
Windows XP pro

if any other information is needed please say. Otherwise please help. ive tried the whole start -> run -> services.msc but everything is correct there.

Member Avatar for ponorogo

Hi,

Most likely you tried to install a different sound device driver and the installation failed, or you didn't like it and tried to un-install it but it didn't finish completely. That's what happened in my case and this is what I do (based on the advice of other members in different threads) :

1. First I removed C-Media sound device driver.
2. Remove the registry by clicking start, run, type regedit.
3. Select hkey local computer, software, microsoft, windows, current version, control panel, cpls, and I remove cmcpls
4. Select hkey local computer, software, microsoft, windows, current version, run, and remove cmaudio
5. Then I go to start, search, and type in cmicnfg.cpl and click search. I remove all cmicnfg.cpl found there.
6. I search the same for cmcpls, cmaudio, and cmuda and remove them all.
7. Next I remove the device driver of C-Media by doing : start, my computer, right click on my computer and select manage.
8. Click device manager (on left) then select sound, video, and game controllers (on right panel, near bottom).
9. Right click on C-Media (in my case this is the device driver I want to remove that is causing problems), and select uninstall.

At this point, all C-Media device driver is removed and clean from the disk drive and from the registry. Then I install Realtek AC97 (this is what I want). I can get this from the computer vendor. If you use Dell, get it from dell.com, Toshiba get it from toshiba.com, emachines get it from emachines.com and so on. Just go there and select download, search the link for audio, and you have to type in your computer type, model.

Once I install Realtek AC97, I reboot my pc and the sound works perfectly. I hope you can fix your problem.

Regards,
Ben

thankyou pono. i totally forgot i had realtek before i saw the name in your post. i did simly download the drivers and software from their site (evesham didnt seem to provide them) and rebooted my computer to have sound in beautiful technicolour :D thankyou again :D

Member Avatar for ponorogo

So glad you fix it! I was struggling till 3AM before fixing it (in my case, I need to reinstall C-Media first because it kept overriding realtek after a fail attempt of install and uninstall).

I am glad I found daniweb website, it is full of experts and good advice.

I'm Having the same problem and i tryed the fix and everything is on and working but still no sound.... does anyone know how and where to get drivers installed.? i have a panasonic cf-w2 laptop and i just had to replace the operating system. {formatted} Windows XP professional /SP2 i have been to panasonic site and downloaded the sound driver for my model laptop: https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pc/cgi-bin/itn/toughbook/dl02.cgi?main=3014
But nothing seems to work can someone shed light here i'm sure i must be missing something .... Thanx :-/

i also tried that and fallowed all the instructions but i cant click the start button like its not clickable

thankyou pono. i totally forgot i had realtek before i saw the name in your post. i did simly download the drivers and software from their site (evesham didnt seem to provide them) and rebooted my computer to have sound in beautiful technicolour :D thankyou again :D

By the way if anyone has dell and wonderes why they have no sound after installing/upgrading thier os its because dell uses Sigmatel HD sound in most of its dimensions which is a PITA as xp and many other oses need drivers

I found a fix!

and click on Properties.

-- voila! -- it worked.)

dude all i can say is...thanks so much...i freaked out today when i came home and nothing was working...did a google search and this post came up...did it and it worked immediately...i do have a question though...why would it have been stopped in the first place?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.