I found a fix!

I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.
But thanks to some tech help from another site, the fix was pretty easy.

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Hope this works for you, too.

Thnx alot from UAE
its useful and helpful way
and no need to re-install anything anymore =D

I don't what has happened to my computer but I have no sound and I got the message "there are no active mixer devices". I tried some of the stuff mentioned on the threads here; but nothing. It's doing my head in - can anyone help me please?

My computer's an intel Pentium IV

hey am stuck up with the same problem...sumone pls help!!!

You will need to reinstall your sound drivers.

Check the manufacturers website or else tell me the exact make and model of your laptop and i will look for a link.

I have a computer not a laptop hope you can help out. My volume disappear after i rebooted my system because i have too much stuff on my computer. Then my volume was gone and every volume thing was disabled. It said it didnt detect my speakers. It worked fine for the last two years. But after rebooting it was gone and i got this message "there are no active mixer devices". When i opened my device manager it detects Multimedia Audio Controller. It says the
devices are not installed in this computer. i tried to reinstall "the hardware wasn't installed because wizard cannot find the necessary software. I dont have a sound card i think but its in my motherboard i think. But its been working all these years. please help.

Microsoft Windows XP Professional 5.1.2600 Service Pack 2 Build 2600
Compaq Presario 091 Model-EL426AA-ABA SR1710NX NA610
Processor-x86 Family 15 Model 47 Stepping 2 AuthenticAMD 1989Mhz
BIOS Version Phoenix Technologies, LTD 3.13

Hi,

For me its on n hv tried that earlier...cud it be suppressed from BIOS setting n i need to enable it???/sSumone pls help

you need to install your sound/motherboard (smothimes also called chipset) drivers off of the Compaq/HP site

Thanks Kurama52 - this just saved the day for me. I registered with this site just so I could respond and let you know how much this post was appreciated!

still not happening...dunno wat to do

same here i already done everything still no sounds

My MoBO

Asus M2A-VM install and reinstall still no sounds. Upadated BIos and downloaded the latest Drivers still aint got any sounds.

Hey everyone

I've tried all you're ways of fixing the problem but none seem to work

Does anyone have any other ways of fixing these problems

Regards

Jarrod Sculac

it got fixed, i just reformat my pc and install the sound first and then voila there it is, got my sound back thx and more power.

Variation on the same problem:
I too have had to tackle the "No Active Mixer Devices" message.
With no sound at all, I took Kurama's advice and managed to get some sound on one program only.
I'll be specific: After I used "services.msc" to turn on Automatic Start for sound, I found that I could get sound on one old program, Cubasis, but could not get Real Player sound (General Error) Myriad's Melody program ('another program is using sound' Allegedly.) Nor could I get the bomb in Hearts or system sounds. I also discovered that although Kurama's fix restored Volume Control, the SW Synth control wasn't working as expected - the only functional control was Volume.
I reckon that only the built-in soundcard is working.
JBennet has offered helpful suggestions for
reinstalling the drivers but I'm not sure how to do this.
Any advice much welcomed.

RussellXPD

BEST -- is to ghost the whole C

it is so important, as it can start as a fresh copy, whenever you want it

take too long to fix some small problem, restore from a ghost image, only take 30 min

it will also help you to try out some trial software too -- before you install those free trial software, you should do preparation

maybe time to get all the software noted and all the data moved, and then reformat the C drive, when you are really happy, -- one week after you become a happy user, you should then ghost it !!

I am having the same problem "There are no active mixer device" I have tried the things that have been posted out there but none seem to work. I'm not sure what kind of computer it is and I have no sound. Not the best with computers but i need some help!

Thanks for the suggestions, but I've good reason to think a reinstall wouldn't work on this computer.
However I ought to be able to uninstall and reinstall the sound software - SB16 and that's what I'll try next.

RussellXPD

maybe I should try that. how do i find out what my sound device is?

I have an HP Compaq Desktop Computer and I'm not sure I hav a sound card installed. I have the same message as in every issue, and nothing works. Any suggestions?

I think my last message was a bit vague. I use Windows XP and when I go to control panel, then Sounds, Speech, and Audio Devices, followed by Sounds and Audio Devices, it says "No Audio Device". What does this mean?

Maybe someone more clued up will come in on this but here's a start:
If you get 'No Audio Device' in the route you say, or if you try:
My Computer>Hardware>DeviceManager --> Sound Video and Game Controllers and you get a yellow question mark,

it shows the computer does not recognise any sound installation.
Possibilities: no sound card installed (unlikely)
wiring not firmly connected (more likely) or drivers not installed and\or enabled.
You probably need a proper techie to have a quick look.
Most likely, you do have all the right hardware, and if you can find out what it is you should be able to get manufacturers' advice from the internet. You could then download the software needed to complete the job.
Good luck

RussellXPD

I found a fix!

I had this problem as well. It happened randomly in the middle of downloading music.
But thanks to some tech help from another site, the fix was pretty easy.

Go to Start --> Run, and type in services.msc.

A window will pop up with a list of services. Scroll down to Windows Audio. Right-click
and click on Properties.

Make sure that "Startup type" is set to automatic. Also, make sure, under "Service
status," start is selected. (Mine was somehow set on stopped. I clicked start and
-- voila! -- it worked.)

Hope this works for you, too.

Mines doing this too but when i type services.msc. into run it says "The Application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application." Any ideas?

I have an HP Compaq Desktop Computer and I'm not sure I hav a sound card installed. I have the same message as in every issue, and nothing works. Any suggestions?

Most likely missing sound controller drivers .
is there a black,orange and green set female of plugs close together on the back of you tower .place to plug speakers/headphones ,mic in! if yes then you have a sound device in the computer ,if the mini plugs are in the lower part of the tower near the bottom then you have a add in sound card ,if they are nearer the top of the tower ,by the monitor ,keyboard mouse connection then you have onboard sound device controller in the computer .HP computer it most likely has onboard sound device .give us the exact model of the HP and maybe i could direct you to the right drivers .

HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor PC

mines doing this too but when i type services.msc. into run it says "The Application failed to initialize properly (Oxc0000006). Click on OK to terminate the application." Any ideas?

HP Compaq dc7600 Small Form Factor PC

check here ,click on you windows version and download and install the Audio drives.

ok so i figured out what the sound card was....i opened up the pc and it is a Creative Labs Model # CT6870 I am having trouble finding a download for it can someone help?

There are quite a few of us with issues on these sound problems.
I'll scout around to see if we can't start another thread, and I'll quote you guys as all needing help.

RussellXPD

ok so i figured out what the sound card was....i opened up the pc and it is a Creative Labs Model # CT6870 I am having trouble finding a download for it can someone help?

try here ,you might need to know a little more on the model .
http://us.creative.com/support/downloads/

OK ,everyone here get Everest and install it then go to multimedia section and it should give you more on the model name and number .
http://www.filehippo.com/download/d40d6225e42ac6ead9533ff561a08bbe/download/

i have the same problem except that ive been ignoring this problem for too long and now i really really really want music so im trying extra hard to get it fixed...my problem is that i reformatted.....again and again. My model is the HP Pavilion a610e. i checked the HP website for drivers but i cant really find it at all. if some1 were kind enough to get me at least to some link that doesnt have millions of drivers but something reasonable such as 20-30 drivers that i can try out, i wud really appreciate it....as result to fix this mess, ive tried reformatting it and trying to reinstall thru My Computer --> Properties -> Hardware ->Device Manager and all the yellow question marks....the audio problem with the yellow question mark is labeled Multimedia Audio Controller....i double click it and then try to reinstall all different ways but it nvr installs....some1 please help !!!! ty

start with system infom tool and go to devices in the left panel and then devices and then sound to find out what sound device is installed in the computer if any !my search of your model don't come up with any sound drivers ,do you have onboard sound or addin pci sound card .
http://www.gtopala.com/

well...i downloaded and installed SIW and this is these are the sound devices installed.
Legacy Audio Drivers
Audio Codecs
Media Control Devices
Legacy Video Capture Devices
Video Codecs

This is the same thing that shows up on device manager thru "My Computer" --> Properties --> Hardware --> Device Manager.

but under other devices, theres the actual thing i need to fix but it doesnt work. Its called Multimedia Audio Controller. I try 2 reinstall driver and nothing happens. If i get it to work, ill message back on this to let u kno but so far....no dice.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.