Uhm... well, hi! This is my first post here.. so... hello! :)
Now.. to my problem.
I like to badmouth my computer a lot, due to some problems here and there, but.. well, now it's just crossed the line. -_-
The story:
My computer keeps losing internet connection after just a few minutes of starting up. (Strangely enough, programs maintain their ability to connect... well, most of them anyway... except when accessing webpages, and my PC maintains network connection.)
So, I, that possess a... uhm... limited, yet dynamic knowledge on computers, decided to fix it. At first, I thought the problem was the IPv6 protocol, because EVERY TIME I tried to install it.. my computer just.. rebooted. And then it would load up to the log-in screen.. and crash and reboot and so on. So I go into Safe Mode and uninstall it and it works fine.
I started looking around the internet for ways to fix it. I can't exactly remember WHY but.. in the progress of fixing it.. I deleted the WAN Miniport (IPX) hidden device. >_<;
So.. I fixed everything I had done.. EXCEPT THAT, and I keep having the same disconnect problem. I am thinking I have a rather corrupt copy (Or install..) of Windows XP and plan to format and fix it.. but not until I get my new computer, so I want to fix this soon/now. (I also get some experience!)

I'm behind a router.. so.. thought that info might matter..

Also.. maybe an unrelated issue... I tried connecting my cable modem directly into my computer.. and connecting. When I pressed connect.. my computer crashed and rebooted. (Like when I tried to install the IPv6 protocol.)

So.. could you guys help me? I need to get that damn Miniport thing back up there.
I thought about modifying the registry to add that Network Adapter.. I think it's in HKEY_LOCALMACHINE-> System-> CurrentControlSet-> Control-> Class-> The.. well, Network adapter part, and adding the damn miniport. However, there's some information I don't know. I have my laptop right here and have most of the info I would need to add it... except the NetCfgInstanceId and maybe the DriverDateData, but I think the second one is the same. I also wouldn't just force the damn thing in.. as it does have a potential of rendering my PC useless, I think. x_x
I would also.. highly dislike having to use Windows Restore.. but if you guys think that's the only way to go.. :)

Uh.. well, sorry for such a big/long post.. this is my very first time posting in a IT community... hope you guys can help. Looking forward to your responses.. thanks in advance!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Ok first of all the WAN Miniport process is a core part of the AOL connectivity software and is required for your AOL internet connection to function correctly but you're behind a router so I don't think it matters.

Then IPv6 again has nothing to do with your problem. If you don't have it you will not be able to visit some classes of ip's but most of the internet is still using ip's formed from 4 groups of 16 bit numbers.

If you say that other programs are working the problem is with your Internet Explorer. Exactly which are the programs that are working?

Also your firewall might prevent Internet Explorer from connecting to the Internet if you have a firewall uninstall it.

Here is also an article that might help you in your Page Cannot be Displayed Troubleshooting:
http://www.toughadmin.com/internett.php

I.. uh.. don't use AOL? O.o I'm.. not sure what to say to that.
And I know IPv6 has nothing to do with it, but it worries me that it crashes when I attempt to install it. When I tried to install it in Safe Mode, I got an error... that was Extended Error.
Other program ARE working, yes. AIM, MSN.. World of Warcraft... and various games and programs that don't BROWSE the internet. I also use Firefox and that doesn't work either. You know the ads that AIM shows? The ones that MSN show? Those don't show up, but IM'ing and such.. does.
I have no firewalls. I have made very sure of that. :P I know, I know.. not safe and all, but I know how to handle most problems.. or at least I'd like to think I do.
I can't check that webpage now, since I'm in class (:P), but I'll check it once I get home...

I.. uh.. don't use AOL? O.o I'm.. not sure what to say to that.

If you have an OEM computer (Dell, HP,Compaq ,E-machines, Gateway) you have AOL.

Firefox and that doesn't work either. You know the ads that AIM shows? The ones that MSN show? Those don't show up, but IM'ing and such.. does.

That means that your HTTP traffic is blocked.

I have no firewalls. I have made very sure of that. :P I know, I know.. not safe and all, but I know how to handle most problems.. or at least I'd like to think I do.

As long as you are behind a router there is no need for firewalls. However considering that only the HTTP traffic is blocke you migh have to take in consideration that your router is causing the problem. A lot of times power cycling the router and the modem fixes the problem.

Also you can verify if you can login into the router's setup page by executing ipconfig and browsing to the default gateway.

I don't have an OEM computer.
And how do I.. uhm.. unblock it? XP I've tried many configurations for the router.
And btw.. I can log in to the router's setup "webpage" (By going into 192.168.1.1 and then logging in..) but.. it has the same problem.. I can only log in for just a few minutes.
The problem is kinda recent.. so I don't know what's going on or what caused it.

Also you can verify if you can login into the router's setup page by executing ipconfig and browsing to the default gateway.

How do I browse to the default gateway.

Well you said that you have AIM installed. That's probably why you have the WAN Miniport there. If you can see the default gateway(the router's setup page) only for a few minutes it means that there is an application causing this. Go in safe mode with networking and see if you have the same problem there.

The link that I posted earlier will tell you how.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.