the place i'm working for is currently getting teir old p2 266 and 300mhz to the landfill but i try to scavenge one or 2, the main problem is that its research center computer and they have put windows 2000, i cannot go trough the logon page as i dont even know the admin password or other passwor dthat could be in it, i will talk of it with the informatic techncian but in the meanwhile is there anothe rwya to get trought this so i can format the disk and start with linux or windows 98(for my brother who want to be mechanics)

Chris

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

IIRC, there are utilites out there that will allow you to boot to a DOS prompt and wipe the drive. For such slow systems, Linux or Win 98 does seem like a better choice then Win 2K.

yeah thats why i wanted to go trought the logon screen to be able to format and apply Linux on 1(for bettering my personal knowledge of linux) and 1 will be w98 for my brother. The main problem was that im on night shift and the tchnician is on day shift si i see him 30 minutes per day. Today he let me get trought one and next monday he will do the other one so i can enter the computer as himself. The thing was that i couldnt get a dos prompt at all, just the logon screen appearing and i've tried to enter the bios(secured also) and the safe mode listing, notthing worked out.

Chris

You'll have to use a boot disk to get to a DOS prompt.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.