Hi guys, I want some advice with a situation with my computer.

Today while i was on it, it just restarts and asks me to either

Safe-mode
Safe-mode with Networking
revert it to last good config or
Start windows normally

I tried safe mode but it doesnt work, It would say safe mode then restart and shows the above options again

Reverting and Starting my computer doenst work either. It would just get a blank screen after it boots up.

I really have no idea on really what is happening. I would really appreciate it if anyone would give me some help. I thank you guys in advance.

Recommended Answers

All 9 Replies

I heard from a friend that if u repair using the XP OS it might work but i dont have the XP OS cd, so my friend lent me his. His XP OS says its for Dell computers and mine isnt so can i still use it to repair my XP?

Please help me out if you guys have time. Thank You

Did you make any changes to your system (software or hardware) recently that might have caused the problem? What happened to your XP CD-ROM? You might be able to use your friends but I doubt it will work.

I dont remember installing new drivers and i also didnt get new hardware for it.

Maybe some of my files are corrupt so it won't allow me to boot correctly?

If it is, is it possible to reinstall XP and keep all my data?

Hi there, this is my first post to the group. I've been seeing this issue addressed on a number of tech sites. It sure is a sucky problem, and I have it as well. I have a Dell Dimension 2gHz, 512 ram, 40 gb hdd. I was attempting to add a second hdd, but forgot to jumper them as master/slave, so they were both set to master. I was able to see both drives, but they did get quite hot. Anyway, after I transfered the data from one to the other, I intended to format the new drive and just make it an additional logical drive. However, when I powered back up after setting the jumpers to m/s config, I would get to the Windows XP Pro screen (Windows is starting up or something) just before my login icon would appear and there it will sit. It never does give me my login screen, and I have tried pulling drives out, rejumpering them etc.

I, too, have extremely urgent data on both drives, and can't seem to get access to either. My CD Rom drive is not recognized during boot up, even though it's the first boot device. I'm really starting to panick, because I need my data. I'm going to try quite a few things I've seen regarding this issue, and will keep the group posted. Any suggestions from you would be most welcome. Thanks,

I dont remember installing new drivers and i also didnt get new hardware for it.

My advice in a different thread. Try this first (you, too, ddbaby11):

"To help diagnose your OS non-starting problem, unplug the system and press the power button and hold it for a few moments to drain any residual current. Then, disconnect all non-essential hardware (CD-ROM drives, etc.). Replug the system power and boot. Let us know the results."

I've never repaired Windows from the CD-ROM so I'm not sure how great the risk is as far as losing files is concerned. If you're going to try it, find a boot disk with USB drivers and get your stuff off before you do.

So you want me to unplug my Cd rom and floppy right?
Should i remove my sound card, video card and such?

Sound card, modem, NIC, CD-ROM drive(s), floppy drive, etc. Everything non-essential and not integrated. Video card is essential unless you have two. It wouldn't hurt to switch it out if the problem persists after this (and you can borrow one for a bit).

Yes it is, insert the windows CD, and when it asks to install windows it will say that windows is already installed, go ahead and advance to the next screen. There it will say

Quick format fat32
Format fat32
Quick format NTSF
Form NTSF
keep original file structure

Choose the last option. then install windows like normal.

hi guys i got almost the same problem of computernoob but mine happen becuase the lights went out. i also get the safe mode, last known screen when a press one of the options the win xp screen appear then the blue screen (the one of a critical error) then it restart again to the same options. if anyone could help me

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.