Had a bad uninstall of Java and now when trying to reinstall 7u10 I end up with the following dialogue:
"This software has already been installed on your computer. Would you like to reinstall it?"
"Yes."
"This action is only valid for products that are currently installed." /end
Repeat, ad nauseum. No Java access from the control panel, natch. No joy using safe mode with networking. Same thing happens with an off line installation file. There is probably very little I actually need Java for, but LibreOffice is probably one of them. Frustrating.

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

You need to remove all the associated files installed with Java that still reside on your system, and then remove ALL of the entries the installation made in the registry. Not fun, but necessary to fix this. There are free tools on the internet that will try to fix your registry for you, but personally, I prefer to deal with that myself.

Yes, it sounds like the registry needs a good scrubb'n You can just ctrl+f to find all Java refrences then scrub em!!

seems a registry problem, use a tool like revo uninstaller or iobit uninstaller to remove the java installation and scan for any remaining registry entries (which revo pro has) or using a tool like ccleaner, then download and install java again

I have exactly the same same problem AFTER I used iobit to clean up registry from Java Left overs. Any other suggestions are appreciated.

Use regedit to open the registry to the HKLM/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Uninstall key, highlight it.
Under Edit tab, in Find type...
java
& ensure only the top 3 boxes are checked. Delete any entries found [the subkeys in {} ].
The pgm JavaRa should also do the job?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.