After installing Windows XP Professional SP3 version 2002 on a Dell Inspiron 1011 mini (2GB RAM 500GB HDD), I am not able to see the entire screen. I started having this problem after I upgraded the RAM (When I had Ubuntu 12.04 LTS on it). Is the problem caused by a driver, the operating system, a hardware malfunction, or is it caused by a loose connection from the laptop screen?

P.S.
When Ubuntu was on it, sometimes when I would boot it up, the screen was back to normal (I could see everything on the screen). It did this at random, and I have no idea why it did this.

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

I am not able to see the entire screen.

excatually what do you see ,what doess it mean to not see all the screen ,like are the icons really big ,and some of them not showing on the screen ,or is a part of the screen blank

winxp likely did not have driver for the video device in the mini ,so you would need to go to Dell support and get the correct drivers to fix the problem .

enter you service tag here .
http://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19?c=us&s=dhs&cs=19&l=en

Have you tried going to allprograms>display>changedisplaysettings? I'm sure it will be a bit different in XP than in my Win7, but I hope you understand what I mean. Once you get into your display settings, you can change your display resolution, and make it smaller. Then hopefully, if this was the problem you'll have all of your desktop on your screen.
I may have misunderstood your question and this won't be helpful, but I hope it is and

This is continued from my previous post. I just wanted to wish you luck. That was what I was going to say next before I accidently hit my enter key.

In response to sujoma, the screen resolution has two settings, 800x600, and 1024x768. I have tried both of these resolutions, and on both of them, it won't show the bottom part of the screen. There used to be a different resolution setting, but it seems that that one disapeered.

In response to caperjack, the only way I can describe the screen, is that it seems like the things it is trying to show are too large to fit on the laptop screen, no matter what the available resolutions are. As in the paragraph above, it used to be at a different resolution setting, but it is for some reason unavailable at this time.

The unavailable screen resolution is 1024x600 (what it was shipped with). I can no longer get this resolution.

The unavailable screen resolution is 1024x600 (what it was shipped with). I can no longer get this resolution.

it may have shipped with it but you have since reinstalled windows ,and the driver for the video is not in windows ,you need to get it from Dell
,as i suggested in my first post ,your Dell computer should have a service tag on it ,use it in the link iprovided in my first post ,and look for Video Device drivers

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.