Ok, I have been around the block a few times but have never ran across this one before. Just loaded a fresh copy of XP Professional SP2 on a 200gig HD. Every time I log in my Start Menu resets to the standard items. None of my applications or changes while using the computer stays for the next time.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Cobrarr2003 :lol:

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Sounds like a profile problem to me. Check your profiles (right-click my computer, properties, advanced, users and profiles), once there make sure all your users have their own profiles with the type being local and the status local. Are you on a domain or network?

Sounds like a profile problem to me. Check your profiles (right-click my computer, properties, advanced, users and profiles), once there make sure all your users have their own profiles with the type being local and the status local. Are you on a domain or network?

Per your recommendation there is one profile listed, I am not on any network or remote domains. I checked the System, Advanced, User Profiles and the type is local. No changes were made just inquires. Thanks..

Create a new profile and see if that happens in there as well. Usually that sounds like a mandatory profile to me.

I created two Admin accounts and deleted the original one that came with the PC. The same problem still exist. The Start Menu pops up when the PC boots up just like a new installation. Hope that helps. FYI, when I first powered up the PC the software did not go through a set-up process. It went straight into windows.

FYI, when I first powered up the PC the software did
not go through a set-up process. It went straight into windows.

What do you mean by that? You said in your post that you just loaded Windows.

Go in Control Panel, Folder Options, click on View on the top and put a dot in "Show hidden files and folders" and take the checkmark out of "Hide protected OS files" and "Hide extension for known file types". Apply the settings and click apply to all folders.

Click on Start, choose Run and execute: %userprofile% . Look for a file called ntuser. Verify if the extension is .dat or .man .

The profile has a ntuser.dat file, it is 2.25mb with a current date.

What I meant on the boot up process, after loading windows generally you get a blue screen that runs you through some prompts and then states you have finished loading windows xp and then you go to a screen that runs xp tour. I did not get the blue screen just went straight to the OS with the Start Menu popped up and xp tour on the screen. Each time I boot up the Start Menu pops up and resets to the default icons. My changes are not saved.

Create a new user profile. Let's see if the same things happens for the other user.

The profile has a ntuser.dat file, it is 2.25mb with a current date.

What I meant on the boot up process, after loading windows generally you get a blue screen that runs you through some prompts and then states you have finished loading windows xp and then you go to a screen that runs xp tour. I did not get the blue screen just went straight to the OS with the Start Menu popped up and xp tour on the screen. Each time I boot up the Start Menu pops up and resets to the default icons. My changes are not saved.

Sounds to me like you are install windows each time you boot your computer ,don't run setup every time you boot computer

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.