How does this work? I need to setup something so I can access my home computer from anywhere. I followed the instructions here but I'm still having problems. I have a WRK54G v1.0 Wireless-G Broadband Router, I've setup WPA with a shared key. I turned off SSI broadcast, enabled MAC Address Filtering, and changed the admin password. DHCP is still enabled...

I might have had troubles port forwarding to, when i log in to the router there lost of stuff to do with ports and it's all confusing me, port triggering etc. If anyone is farmiliar with this router and could tell me how to properly configure it so I can use Remote Desktop Web Connection that would be great. Oh, I have a laptop wirelessly connected to the router, and a desktop connected by cable, I'm trying to make the desktop the host, and then be able to access it from anywhere with my laptop. Thanks ahead of time.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Don't open ports in your firewall. It's not very secure. Remote desktop web connection is created for internal networks. It's better not to use it.

I recommend you LOG ME IN: www.logmein.com .

Open Source: TightVNC, UltraVNC, OpenVNC

O real vnc very easy to use!

and if you want to use RDP anyway, open port 3389. consult portforward.com

logmein is easier to setup and actually much more secure (securer? LOL)

I like LogMeIn Free also, to support my 'distant' relatives. ;^)

so laser you pay for it or use the crappy free version which is being phased out

I am also looking for an alternative thats free and works 100% on any system from win98 to win7

Try, http://www.radmin.com/ I love, I use more than three years. Fast, and most importantly safe program for remote control of computers. Advantages, high speed, reliable security system.

Try, http://www.radmin.com/ take more than three years. Fast, and most importantly safe program for remote control of computers. Advantages, high speed, reliable security system.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.