can anyone here help me out?
i've used hjsplit for splitting mpeg files,
works great
but splitting avi files generates files that no longer can be played?
thanks for your help
jaybie

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

There are many types of AVI files. An AVI file can be compressed using many various compressors - DivX, xViD, Microsoft's WMP9 to name a few.

What is the compression on this AVI file?

I have a similar problem. I downlooaded a rar file with 10 avi files in it to join. I had to add the .001 + extension to the 10 files. I joined them and they addec to to 38 MB. But, when I layed the video, it was just 1min 30 sec or so and not the entire vid, even though the rejoined file was the same size as the separate files.

So, what didi I do wrong. They joined successfully, but it seems the whole 38MB is only the first file and not the whole 10.

Any advice appreciated.

H1

Help Please......

I downloaded a few AVI files that were split with HJSplit. I am having problems joining them. The first file does not have the 001 extension and the file type does not say 001 File - instead is says AVI file. When I launch HJSplit to join the first file in the folder, it is unable to detect the 001 split files. What must I do or change to the first file in order to join them all.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanx

Help Please......

I downloaded a few AVI files that were split with HJSplit. I am having problems joining them. The first file does not have the 001 extension and the file type does not say 001 File - instead is says AVI file. When I launch HJSplit to join the first file in the folder, it is unable to detect the 001 split files. What must I do or change to the first file in order to join them all.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

Thanx

Go to View Folder types and unclick "hide extensions of known files". Then, rename the file caled .avi as .avi.001 etc..... . But make sure the avi file has the same name. If you have vid1.avi vid2.avi, you'll have to rename the vid2.avi to : vid1.002 . It must have the same file name throughout. You keep them in order by adding the .001, .002 to the file extension. Hope that helps.

H1

Now, can someone solve my problem in the post I posted before above.

Works brilliantly....Thanks H1. U'r da man..........

I downlooaded a rar file with 10 avi files in it to join. I had to add the .001 + extension to the 10 files. I joined them and they addec to to 38 MB. But, when I layed the video, it was just 1min 30 sec or so and not the entire vid, even though the rejoined file was the same size as the separate files.

H1

USING hjsplit.

I think you only played the first avi file. When you download such file only the first file is actually playable, thats why its file extension is usually ".avi"; so that is the only file which you have to change extension
E.g.
confusing.avi.001.avi >>>> only change this, delete that ".avi" so it would just be confusing.avi.001

confusing.avi.002
confusing.avi.003
etc...~010

Use hjsplit to join...after changing the extension to .001 it will automatically be detected...then just click SAVE then click JOIN, the rest will just add-up to that .001. If you have 10 files you dont have to rename all.

I dont know with rar coz i'm using hjsplit, it also took me hours to find out the trick and now i can watch that ~280mb file that took me a day to join,lol.

WinRAR & HJSplit never really worked for me. Did some searching and came across this: http://www.001filejoinerandspliter.com . Hope this helps. It’s nice b/c it associates itself w/ the .001 file format so when I download a set of files (like movie.wmv.001, movie.wmv.002, etc), I just double click the .001 file and it’s all done. fast and pretty too. have fun!:)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.