Been reading this forum for ages but now I have a real live issue of my own!

I've seen this posted a few times, but I haven't yet found a definitive answer.

After initial boot up, I get the Generic Host Process Failure message with these details:

szAppName : svchost.exe szAppVer : 5.1.2600.2180 szModName : ntdll.dll s
zModVer : 5.1.2600.2180 offset : 00018fea

C:\DOCUME~1\TONYBR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf1a2.dir00\svchost.exe.mdmp
C:\DOCUME~1\TONYBR~1\LOCALS~1\Temp\WERf1a2.dir00\appcompat.txt

I'm on a Sony laptop with XP Home Service Pack 2 with Zone Alarm and after the error message, I lose the ability to browse the network and there is no sound. I can restart both services manually but that really is sticking a plaster on it I think.

Problem started about 2 weeks ago but I can't remember any specific event that pre-dated it eg updates etc.

Anyone know what the real problem is? Any help much appreciated!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

Try a sfc scan. The ntdll.dll file might be corrupt. Go to start, choose run, and type in sfc /scannow . Make sure to have your Windows XP cd with you.

Try a sfc scan. The ntdll.dll file might be corrupt. Go to start, choose run, and type in sfc /scannow . Make sure to have your Windows XP cd with you.

Well, one down, many more to go!

I have run the sfc scan - no problems with any files :sad:

What next anyone?

I have exactly the same problem and error message. It started for no particular reason ten days ago. I have SP2 and am up to date with all patches

It causes my PC to shutdown, or progs to hang.
Any process can be effected, Scanner, or while using Add/Remove Progs, or while installing new software. It just happens any time with any program or any process.

If you did find an answer I sure would be glad if you could post.

Thanks,
Jade

1.5 Athlon Chip XP Home 512 DDR Ram.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.