Hi all

I would just like to find out, which VMWare product I should use when I want to create a virtual Network using Windows Server 2008 and a domain. I want other computers (running Windows 7 Ultimate) in our workplace to connect to the domain on the Virtual Machine (Server)

I have tried vmware Player to do this, but the connected PC's doesn't show the VM, and I cannot Ping the VM from any PC's connected.
I have been told by IT companies that Workstation or vSphere will do the best on a windows 7 system (as a host)

Currently in our workplace there are 5 PC's that needs connection to one central point. I want to have all of them connected to a Virtual Machine running a server on my Windows 7 PC....
I have explained this to the IT company and they said get Workstation or vSphere.

Which VMware Product should I get to virtualize my network and Server and create a domain and have our PC's connect to the server and run on the domain?

Thanks!

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If you are setting up a new domain, creating the first DC on a VM is probably not a go or idea unless you have a production VSphere that's fault tolerant, highly available. If that VM system is unavailable, your domain is unavailable.

Anyway, you could use vmplayer if this was for a test. Technically it would work the same way as workstation or any other VM app. For production it would be better to run VSphere although setting up vmsphere for one VM is not cost effective.

This isn't for a test. This will be for a couple of months... This must basically be the same as a school's/restaurant/etc's.. network

*Just a quick question: *

Is it possible to connect to the server via Remote Desktop using ANY USER that is on the domain on any PC in the workplace using Remote Desktop or SOMETHING...? (e.g. John has an account on the domain, and he wants to log onto the domain using his credentials (Username: DOMAIN\johnh Password: 1234)

Is it possible to connect to the server via Remote Desktop using ANY USER that is on the domain on any PC

Yes if course. However if you are expecting any user to RDP and/or log on interactively on a domain controller, the user have the appropriate rights and/or permissions.

A regular domain user would not be able to log into the server by default.

he wants to log onto the domain using his credentials (Username: DOMAIN\johnh Password: 1234)

John would be able to log on a workstation that is a member of the domain using his domain credentials. "Log onto the domain" simply means being authenticated by the domain controllers in the domain.

So JorgeM, you are prescribing that I use vSphere?

you are prescribing that I use vSphere?

I dont have enough information to provide you with a real recommendation. The infrastructure you build depends on cost, time to return to operation in the event of a failure, etc..

Based on what you have said so far, I am hearing that there is a requirement to virtualize and that this is production.

Based on those two requirements, I'd suggest vSphere. However, there are other production ready hypervisors out there, for example, Microsoft's Hyper-V. If all that you plan is to virtualize one or two systems and you dont have strict requirements around availability and fault tolerance, vSphere is an overkill.

Regarding costs...you get the most out of your virtual infrastructure as you scale it out. however, getting into the vm business has high upfront costs.

for example, say a server costs you 2500.00 for this domain controller... i doubt that you will be able to stand up an adequate vSphere infrastructure for that cost. however, if your vSphere infrastructrue hosts 40-50 servers, you can easily justify the upfront costs because you are going to see a return on that investment and a lower total cost of ownership when comparing that two 50 physical servers.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.