hi everybody,I need help,cannot login to hotmail and navigation is too slow,because ActiveX is not functional.
In windows update I could not get my Win98SE past the "Administrators Only" roadblock to scan and fetch updates I need,because my ActiveX doesn't work properly.
a friend suggest a solution and i do this:

1-click on START --> RUN --> regsvr32 iuctl.dll /u --> OK to un-register the library.

2-Then, use START --> SEARCH to search for Files and Folders. Type iuengine.dll, iuctl.dll into the file search box.
Delete all occurrences of these two files, deleting the ones in %SystemRoot%\System32 (e.g., c:\windows\system32) last.
Close all Internet Explorer Windows.

3-Use CONTROL PANEL --> INTERNET OPTIONS to delete your Temporary Internet Files, checking Delete all offline content, and pressing OK

4-On the Security tab, select Trusted Sites. Set the security to Low and Apply the change.
Press the Sites button.
Uncheck Require server verification. Type http://*.windowsupdate.microsoft.com. Press Add and OK.
Press OK to close the Internet Options dialog.

5-Use My Computer / Tools / Folder Option / View to check show hidden files and folders.
Use Windows Explorer to navigate to %ProgramFiles%\WindowsUpdate, generally at C:\Program Files\WindowsUpdate.
Delete every file and sub-folder, except the V4 sub-folder.
Expand the V4 sub-folder and delete every file and sub-folder except iuhist.xml, which contains your Windows Update installation history.
Disable any anti-virus, browser accelerators, and download utilities that might interfere with the native operation of Windows Update.

i do those steps and go to
http://windowsupdate.microsoft.com/.
and still says "Administrators only"
WU log show this:
C:\Program files\WindowsUpdate\V4\temp\iuident.cab are not trusted (Error 0x800B0004)

What can I do? the only thing I want Is ActiveX working ok to navigate whitout problems and log on to Hotmail.
thanx to all :cry:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

hi everybody,I need help,cannot login to hotmail and navigation is too slow,because ActiveX is not functional.

In windows update I could not get my Win98SE past the "Administrators Only" roadblock to scan and fetch updates I need,because my ActiveX doesn't work properly.

Wow! Talk about hitting flies with a sledgehammer!

Your problem is more likely a simple one. Somewhere on your machine is a directory called WUTemp or similar. I can't remember if it's hidden or not (I'm in Linux right now--nothing on my Windows partition is hidden). If you don't see it, open any folder window, go to the menu Tools->Folder Options->View and check Show hidden files and folders. Once you find it, delete it. Most likely, that's what's blocking your access. It's worked for me more than once.

i delete WU temp ,repeat all the process and nothing...
my browser repetidly says "ActiveX doesn't work properly withthis configuration" ,then i go to Windows update and says "administrators only"
What can i do?

I might have some notes at the shop about this. Just curious did you have a virus on it at one time or are you having any other problems like RPC shutdowns.
The reason why I ask is I had the some problem with two computers the got nailed by a variant of the MSblaster worm.

p.s The slow navigation is kind of suspicious.

no virus here,the anti virus says "clean"

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.