When I check the "Users and Passwords" in the Control Panel, I see two new strange user accounts. They are "IUSR_STATION-2" and "IWAM_STATION-2". Station-2 is the name of my computer. When I click the Properties button, they are described as "Built-in account for anonymous access to Internet Information Services out of process applications", they belong to the guests group. I never created those acounts. I deleted them, but every time I reboot, they show up again.

My guess is, some spyware has found its way to my computer and created those accounts for hackers for later malicious acts. I don't know how to deal with it. I'm running Windows 2000 Pro, SP4. I have Zone Alarm firewall, Norton Antivirus, and Windows Defender Beta 2 running as well. This computer is networked with two other ones, and the other ones don't have this problem.

Can someone give me some advise? Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

not sure what they are ,but you should disable the guest acct if you haven't allready done so .
download and install and update ewido spyware removal tool 14 day fully working trial version here ,.
http://www.ewido.net/en/

Actually, these accountsare automatically created by IIS, the Web Server which ships with Windows. If you don't use a web server on your machine, you can uninstall IIS from Add/Remove Programs>Add/Remove Windows Components. Once you've removed IIS, the accounts will be deleted.

That answers my question. Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.