Hey guys,

I'm caleb, and I'm in a bind. I'm the itt for an engineering company with roughly 25 computers on the network. I'm currently in transition from peer to peer going to server/client. My problem is weird. I've researched Google for probably 90 minutes and nothing has worked. We have DSL. This is so weird, but some computers will connect to the internet but some will not. What's odd is I can take a cable directly from the modem to the computer and it still doesn't work... but I can walk into the next room with the same cable and it connects fine. It's like one side of the building is cursed or something. I've tried plugging in the modem to the switches (how it was originally setup) and combinations I probably couldn't remember... maybe I could but it's 12am and I want to get home. The computers on the 3rd floor connect fine and on the 2nd floor (where the modem is along with the server) half of the computers do and half do not. I'm begging for assistance... I'm 18 and I am the ITT department for the building. I can't look irresponsible. Please someone with more experience give me a hand. =(

Caleb, MCSE

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

Do all of your computers see the network? That would be the first thing to check. That way you would be able to narrow it down to a network issue or just an internet issue

Yes, all computers are able to see the network. I've even used different cards to make sure.

If all aspects of the network function except the internet then you know that you set the network up correctly, you just have an internet problem. I would suggest to go to every computer that does not have an internet connection open Internet explorer, click tools, internet option, connection, LAN settings, and make sure that Auto Detect settings is checked. Hope that works if not let me know

If youaren't using DHCP, make sure you've setup the IP addresses correctly. IF you are using DHCP, make sure your lease timing, DNS and Gateway info is correct.

Also, are your computers able to ping each other? Are they able to ping the main server? Can the server ping the clients?

You said you have DSL. DSL modems can work 2 ways: router and bridge mode. In bridge mode the computer will have to establish a PPPOE connection. It is possible that your DSL modem doesn't function in router mode anymore and some of the computers have a pppoe connection created and this is how they can get on the Internet.

What we need to know first in order to assess the situation, is the ip address of a computer that can connect and then we need the ip address of a computer that doesn't connect.

Hey guys sorry for the delay! Work has been hectic.. going on 60 hours this week :confused:. Thanks for all of the replies!

Let me describe the network a little more in depth. When I started working here, the last IT guys for some reason had every computer hooked up with 2 nics. One with a static address for LAN use and the other on Obtain Automatically for DSL use. No router is in place between the modem and the computers. Our server isn't running DHCP yet, as I'm still setting everything up.

If all aspects of the network function except the internet then you know that you set the network up correctly, you just have an internet problem. I would suggest to go to every computer that does not have an internet connection open Internet explorer, click tools, internet option, connection, LAN settings, and make sure that Auto Detect settings is checked. Hope that works if not let me know

The LAN settings are setup to automatically detect. I tried going through the connection wizard to see if that would repair anything. Still nothing. Thanks though! ;)

If youaren't using DHCP, make sure you've setup the IP addresses correctly. IF you are using DHCP, make sure your lease timing, DNS and Gateway info is correct.

Also, are your computers able to ping each other? Are they able to ping the main server? Can the server ping the clients?

The DSL nics are set to obtain automatically. The computers can all work on the LAN fine. The server isn't controlling internet usage yet. Thanks anyways :)

You said you have DSL. DSL modems can work 2 ways: router and bridge mode. In bridge mode the computer will have to establish a PPPOE connection. It is possible that your DSL modem doesn't function in router mode anymore and some of the computers have a pppoe connection created and this is how they can get on the Internet.

What we need to know first in order to assess the situation, is the ip address of a computer that can connect and then we need the ip address of a computer that doesn't connect.

It looks like the computers than can not connect are recieving APIPA addresses. The ones that can have 192.168.x.x

This may be going somewhere... thanks a bunch!

Thanks everyone for the help. If you can think of anything else please let me know, as this is still an issue. Thanks again!

well, after hours of troubleshooting i decided to take the time to set up DHCP on our server. Very easy process, and was fast. Now all computers except one can successfully /renew ips from the server. This case is officially solved :mrgreen:

thanks for the help everyone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.