I cannot start windows. Get message--internal stacks overflow caused this session to halt. set stacks in config.sys--.
I have made several adjustments to the stacks setting in config.sys but nothing helped. I eliminated 445 file0000.chk files hoping it would free up some space in memory but it did not help. By now I am getting the message Himem.sys missing and I cannot get in to my config sys or my autoexec bat. All I get is a bad command or file name message.
HELP PLEASE
snooky

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hrm. What OS is this? Were youa ble to get into safe mode?

Oh my goodness snooky! !:eek:

You gotta format that thing and load up again. But before you do, I reckon you better grab a new hard drive to use. Those file0000.chk files are file fragments left over after scandisk has found bad sectors and unreadable files.

You've blue screened and switched off a fair bit, haven't you? Formatting and reinstalling might fix things up, but if your problems crop up again, it'll be because your hard drive is heading for it's resting place ;)

your OS has been corrupted (most likley by a virus, [sounds like an ANTICMOS media born one]), id reinstall the OS, not reformat, since re-installing can fix the program and your data is spared. From there if things look really bad, reformat and reinstall again.

Good Luck.

your OS has been corrupted (most likley by a virus, [sounds like an ANTICMOS media born one]), id reinstall the OS, not reformat, since re-installing can fix the program and your data is spared. From there if things look really bad, reformat and reinstall again.

Good Luck.

Dear Junior Techie,

I have tried reinstalling Windows 98 second edition but I cannot get passed the stacks overflow. It will not reinstall, anything I try in safe mode still gives me the stacks overflow message. Is there any way to get some of my programs off of it or some of the files out of MS Works?
Thanks for the time you took to write.
Snooky

Oh my goodness snooky! !!:eek:

You gotta format that thing and load up again. But before you do, I reckon you better grab a new hard drive to use. Those file0000.chk files are file fragments left over after scandisk has found bad sectors and unreadable files.

You've blue screened and switched off a fair bit, haven't you? Formatting and reinstalling might fix things up, but if your problems crop up again, it'll be because your hard drive is heading for it's resting place ;)

Dear Catweazzle, Thanks for trying to help. I do not shut off the computer improperly intentionaly. I have had various poweroutages which has shut it down. Have battery backup now. This computer has had a stacks overflow problem off and on throughout its four year history but this time whatever I try in safe mode, with the startup disk and the Windows 98 CD in, I still get the stacks overflow message. I was able to retrieve backup files from MS Money but do not know if I can salvage MS Works backup files. If so, then I don't mind formatting the drive.
Snooky

Hrm. What OS is this? Were youa ble to get into safe mode?

'
Dear i686Linux, Windows 98 second edition. When I get into safe mode, I still cannol get passed the stacks overflow when it reaches a certain point. I deleted all the bits and pieces of recovered files (some 400 of them) to make room in the memory but that has not helped. I do not know what stacks overflow means. What are (is) stacks? I have tried setting stacks to the highest number but it does no good.
Thanks
Snooky

Best option would probably be to put that drive in another machine as a 'Slave Drive' and copy your data files across and burn 'em to CD for later use. You can't 'get some programs off of it' - you'll need to install those again later from CD.

And if you're getting 'stack overflow' errors even when you try to reinstall, it's time for a format, and its possibly time for a hardware check as well. Have you changed any memory modules lately? That's the first place to look.

Since reformatting is always my last and ultimate option, when all else fails i reinstall windows by just deleting \windows, \program files, and the hidden files used by windows. The autoexec.bat, config.sys, msdos.sys, io.sys, and *.bak's that windows make on some of them. Then I reinstall windows by booting through the CD.. always worked for me... and in doing so, i never had to reformat a HDD and never lost important files...

This is just a suggestion though...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.