For some reason, I can't keep my windows/folders to maintain their size and settings. I know where to set it up - My Computer/ View/ Folder Size - etc. But when I do that, they go back in a short while to small windows, folders.
Is there a reg fix or some other method to fix this?

thx

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

For some reason, I can't keep my windows/folders to maintain their size and settings. I know where to set it up - My Computer/ View/ Folder Size - etc. But when I do that, they go back in a short while to small windows, folders.

This is one of the symptoms of the problem I discuss--and fix--in this article.

Thanks for the response. Yep, my install corrupted at some point. Now when you say to start setup in DOS, you mean to reboot while in Windows and go to the prompt, which will be, C:\Windows, and type \win.com after it? Because when I did that and pressed enter, it brought me back into windows.

Create a Window Startup diskette:

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Startup disk

Boot your PC from that, (you might have to change the 'Boot Device' order in BIOS setup) and choose "Start with CD-ROM support.

When you get to the A:> prompt, type X: <Enter> (where X = the drive letter of your CD-ROM)

Then type:

Setup <ENTER> and away you go!

Create a Window Startup diskette:

Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> Startup disk

Boot your PC from that, (you might have to change the 'Boot Device' order in BIOS setup) and choose "Start with CD-ROM support.

When you get to the A:> prompt, type X: <Enter> (where X = the drive letter of your CD-ROM)

Then type:

Setup <ENTER> and away you go!

--------------
Thanks... I knew that and I'll try it and let you know!!

Your 'Startup Diskette' will probably create a 'RAM disk' when it's booting your system up, so be aware your CD drive letter might be one letter further on to what you're used to.

Hey Tall Cool - What if I were to delete win 98 as you say...Could I then load XP on my system instead or would there be something else I'd have to do?
thx!!!!

if you want to load XP you have to get rid of windows 98 in addition to dos.

If you want to load Windows XP, the absolute best way is to back up all your data, bott from your XP CD, and use the install routine to delete your existing partition, create a new one in its place, format it using the NTFS file system, and then clean install Windows XP.

The setup routine will do the lot of that for you - you don't need a boot disk at all, nor Fdisk!

A clean install is way better, because an 'upgrade install' only inherits any problems the Windows 98 installation already has! ;)

(And it will have some!)

Hey Tall Cool - What if I were to delete win 98 as you say...Could I then load XP on my system instead or would there be something else I'd have to do?
thx!!!!

What I was suggesting was not deletion, but an in-place reinstall--nothing is deleted or lost, except for a couple of settings, as mentioned in my article.

Installing XP over 98 is a whole different issue. In that case, I recommend a full install from scratch. The issues that make a simple conversion From 98 to XP very difficult include (but are not limited to) FAT32 vs NTFS file systems and Registry format conversion.

What I was suggesting was not deletion, but an in-place reinstall--nothing is deleted or lost, except for a couple of settings, as mentioned in my article.

Installing XP over 98 is a whole different issue. In that case, I recommend a full install from scratch. The issues that make a simple conversion From 98 to XP very difficult include (but are not limited to) FAT32 vs NTFS file systems and Registry format conversion.

-----------
But CAN it be done? It may not be the best way, but if I want to go to Dos and enter deltree c:\windows, COULD I INSTALL XP? AND HOW DO I DELTED DOS

THX

fistdog, you can certainly delete the \windows directory and install Windows XP, but what's the point?

It won't pick up your installed programs properly, it'll leave your 'My Documents' folder in a mess, because Windows XP uses a very different structure, and it'll leave you with a very inferior FAT32 file system!

Leaving your existing Windows installation there, and installing XP as an 'Upgrade' over the top of it is a far superior method to what you suggest.

And performing a 'Clean Install', as mentioned, is the best way of all.

You're clinging to outdated ideas, and convincing yourself that they're the 'easiest way', when in fact they're not. You don't need the DOS prompt to put XP on there easily!

if you really want to get rid of the win98, yes, you can delete \windows\ and some of the hidden system files of win98. But Catweazle is correct, you'll have to go through all of the trouble of reinstalling the applications that you have. as for FAT32, you can always use Partition Magic or any 3rd party applicatoin that partitions HDDs.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.