Greetings,

Just bought new system. Brand is E-machine P6528 AMD Aphlon 64 processor 3500 plus 2.21 GHZ 384 mgabytes ram running XP home edition with SP2. Had modem installed last night by friend and DVD drive used to install drivers. Went to use DVD drive and it is no longer working. Windows explorer shows it as being present, device driver shows it as present and that thier is no problem with it or hardwre conflicts. Device is enabled in properties. When I put music or data cd into the drive, computer doesnt respond. Have run windows trouble shooter without sucess and also removed and reistalled driver without sucess. Any suggestions, could the modem installation have caused this problem and how can we solve it.

Thankyou

Steven

Recommended Answers

All 6 Replies

Is it just that particular music CD that isnt working, or do all of your CDs/DVDs not work? If it's just that particular CD, the disc itself could be bad.

Otherwise, check the power cable. Sometimes, it happens that the 12V wire in the molex connector comes off, so the logic circuit stays powered but the motor doesnt spin. I know, its rare, but its happened to me once. To be perfectly sure, test the drive on another computer and see if it works there.

Is it just that particular music CD that isnt working, or do all of your CDs/DVDs not work? If it's just that particular CD, the disc itself could be bad.

Thanks for response: Tried all types of CDs and none worked appears to be hardware/software problem.

Otherwise, check the power cable. Sometimes, it happens that the 12V wire in the molex connector comes off, so the logic circuit stays powered but the motor doesnt spin. I know, its rare, but its happened to me once. To be perfectly sure, test the drive on another computer and see if it works there.

Again thanks,
Will check but as drive was definately working before installation of modem and its new computer, reluctant to take cover off. I was hoping for a software problem. Oh well break out the screwdriver

Look at it this way: You're getting hands on experience with computers. cheers

Dvd Not Working drive not working code 10 can anyone help

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.