Hello everybody!

Right now I own a Satellite C655 and I am planning to upgrade to a new laptop. I am looking for something faster & around 400$. I work as a web developer & CM and this laptop isnĀ“t working at its best when it comes to multitasking.

Any suggestions please?

Lauren Variant commented: Thanks for your information +0

Recommended Answers

All 11 Replies

It would be very hard to not beat your model if it's this one:
https://www.cnet.com/products/toshiba-satellite-c655/review/

If you are totally lost, let's start with the best sellers on Amazon. This is at:
https://www.amazon.com/Best-Sellers-Computers-Accessories-Traditional-Laptop/zgbs/pc/13896615011/ref=zg_bs_nav_pc_2_565108

Ignore the chromebooks.

The current #1 is under 400 but to hit that price it has half the RAM I'd want to see, only the core i3 and a stock sluggish HDD. But it should be a step up.

At #3 and just under 600 is Core i5 powered, 8GB RAM and a 256GB SSD. Now this will perform to most folks expectations.

Nod to models with i5 or better, 8GB or better and SSD.

You can use Dell XPS 13, HP Spectre x360, Acer Aspire S 13, Lenovo Yoga 910, Asus ZenBook UX310.

You can use them, yes, but you cannot buy them for anywhere near $400 Amy. Which is what the OP set as a budget...

Any particular requirements in regards to screen size, specs? If you are doing a lot of multitasking then you'll want enough RAM to keep up as well as a relatively decent processor.

A quick Google search lead me to this article: https://thetechreviewer.com/tech-tips/best-laptop-under-400/

Seems like their #1 choice offers a 720P display, 2.5GHz quad-core processor, 8GB of RAM and a 1TB disk drive which is plenty of what you'll likely be doing. The price raised slightly since they posted the article, but B&H is only showing it at $419.

I'd check this one out if I were you! You can also choose one of the other options with a 1080P display however at this price-point that means a trade for weaker specs in regards to RAM, HDD and processor.

Hope this helped!

As you are not mainly targting very heavy work, you don't need high end laptop. So 400 budget is enough for you. But you should consider various factors when selecting your laptop.

1. Ram - Now a days 8 GB is the normal. Even though 4 GB is enough. Go for a 8GB one.
  2. Processor - Core i5 is enough for you. Better if you can go for i7. But go for the latest generation processor.
  3. Display - as you are doing web development, go for a screen size 15.
  4. Storage - go for at least 1 TB hard drive as you have to save your projects.

Found this blog post via google which compares several laptops under 400 budget. Hope it will help. https://www.budgetgaminglaptops.net/gaming-laptops-under-400/

One more thing. Go for a SSD drive as it will help you to work faster.

Hi Sandra just wondering what did you buy in the end because I'm helping a friend with options for laptops under $400 and just came across this discussion.

So far I have narrowed down my choices to an acer laptop, although i forgot the exact model.
My general rule is to stick with AMD APU's for this kind of budget as they deliver the best bang for buck on the low and mid end.

I was just going through a few review sites as well to be knowledgefull of all options. Here is an interesting listing they got https://www.noflufftech.com/best-laptop-under-400/

And so far based on my own research I have come to conclude I should be able to get a laptop with atleast 8GB RAM, and a 1TB harddrive within this price range.

$400 is a very low budget, but sounds like it's feasible from what I've ready above. When I'm buying laptops I don't buy the best available, I ask "what will I need this thing to do if my business moves in the right direction" and cater for something that will last at least 3 years. I use a Dell XPS 13 2-in-1 and spent a fortune on it, but I've not regretted it and I use it heavily and carry it around a lot. For web development I would've still bought a laptop with a high-res screen but wouldn't have opted for the high spec I did.

I think everyone would like to know what you bought though!

I have like a $900 one because I need to run virtual machines on it for my servers. It was a gaming one. Has a glut of RAM, and supports Hyperthreading, which from what I understand is very good. Hyperthreading essentially has one CPU but it timeshares the CPU among multiple threads. Inspiron 17 Dell 5000 Series, 17.3" display, webcam, etc. Intel Core i7 8th gen processor Radeon Graphics. It's worth thinking about the number of applications you will be runing on the laptop. I found I could not survive without multiple virtual machines, visual studio, sql developer, oracle XE, and a SQL Server VM which runs a new IIS version. Obviously outside of your price range, but it seems to run virutal machines like there's hardly a drop in the bucket. I got SQL Server Developer edition, which is the cheaper version of SQL Server RDBMS which can get you your persistance needs for testing purposes. Additionally I will eventually be deploying to an IIS Virtual machine which will be running concurrently on the laptop. Windows 10 OS due to the fact that nobody makes anything less, eh it's ok. Visual studio is like a year removed from current, but I'm not made of money.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.