Hi I am unable to complete an installation of an Officejet 6000 inkjet printer on a home network Dell 690 workstation running . Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit workstation. The printer had been previously connected to a Windows XP Pro 32 bit OS Dell PC. The HP CD wouldn't install the printer as it is for a 32 bit PC. I downloaded the appropriate software from HP for Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit OS. The installation does not complete it just goes on an on. It reaches 40 per cent. I have tried posting on the HP forum but with no response. I am wondering whether I could isolate the PC from the home network and try installing it. the reasoning being at least it will rule out network issues. Has anyone any ideas as to how I can solve this issue. The registry of the Dell 690 refers to another Dell on the network and I suppose the other computers also refer to the older installation being on that PC.

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

I have an Officejet 6500 on a home network that has Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit, Windows 8, and a couple other Windows/Linux computers. I had no problems installing the device driver about a month ago. But I installed the HP Solution Center from here, not just the printer device driver.

Did you try to uninstall the existing priter device driver before installing a new one?

If you are running any kind of Anti-Virus or Computer Security software (ie McAfee Internet security, Norton, etc.), disable said software and try again.

Connecting the printer to the computer, Windows 7 should automatically download the driver for it. The only thing you are installing is the extra software.

Also disable the firewall during installation.

Thanks guys I'll try these solutions. I have done so much that I can't recall what I have done. I did try disabling AVG etc but not Windows firewall. Time to retrace my steps. What is puzzling is that I don't get a New Hardware discovered response.

Download the HP uninstall utility. It will go and wipe out any registry entries along with any remaining folders, and should fix it. Windows 7 should have found it if connected via USB, and loaded the drivers.

This is the utility http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-24061-2 You have to let it run through the four stages, to do its job properly. This is the same software, but named Officejet http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/softwareDownloadIndex?cc=us&lc=en&dlc=en&softwareitem=mp-49133-2 I would try the first one first.

Thanks Greg z,

I couldn't install the printer using the two downloads the software just semed to hang. What I did find is connecting the printer using network cable to my switch works. Instead of using Add a Printer though, which didn't work, I used Devices and Printers and selected Add a Device. A menu pops up for selecting various devices including a network printer. After selecting printer Windows found the required drivers :)

You do not install the printer with those links I posted. Read again what I posted per that software. It removes all traces of any existing installations of the HP printer software & drivers.

Yes I understand that Greg but the downloads did not do anything- ie no progress displayed. I suppose there was something blocking it.

I have a 2500 series printer it will not recognize the ink says its not found and it is exactly what it had in it. No way it will print with this problem. Anyone have any clues as to what to do. Yes, it is installed properly. It states in the window the type of ink refill is not recognized. I need a fix! Thanks in advance.

@Sinda. Don't bury your new question in 4 year old posts. Make your own. Do not leave out details like the cart isn't from HP and the printer is 10 years old.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.