Hi everyone:

I was surfing all around my puter deleting all kind of unused folders... and suddenly i found this one: C:\RECYCLER\NPROTECT\
i am not sure what this folder is ment for... perhaps to backup deleted items with Norton ??? ... Well the point is that i want to delete it since it's part of the Recyclers i think it's useless and has no utility, RIGHT ?
(BTW, i unistalled all symantec products)

Thanx 4 ur help :):cheesy:

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

I think its part of Norton, but I'm not positive about that.

However, if it's part of Norton, and you've already uninstalled it, I see no reason why you can't just delete it. :)

Thanks.

Well i just erased it ... and no problems. :o
thanx for ur time

End note: the NProtect folder is indeed a Norton component; specifically, it's the folder where the Norton Protected Recycle Bin feature stores items you delete.

End note: the NProtect folder is indeed a Norton component; specifically, it's the folder where the Norton Protected Recycle Bin feature stores items you delete.

When I check in the Norton Protected section of the recycle bin or when I search for Norton protected files using their Unerase Wizard, there are no files found.

However, when I run defrag it finds and lists many files it states are located in \recylcer\nprotect
It further states that these files cannot be defragmented.

There are 30 files ranging in size from 24MB up to 134MB.

Any ideas on how to fix this?

TIA,
avrick

Disabling the Norton Protected Recycle Bin should delete the items Norton has stored in the Recycler folder:

1 . On the Windows desktop, right-click the Recycle Bin icon, and then click Properties.

2 . On the Global tab, click Use One Setting for All Drives.

3 . On the Recycle Bin tab, click Standard Recycle Bin.

4 . In the Title field, type the following text: Recycle Bin

5 . On the Norton Protection tab, select a drive, and then uncheck Enable Protection.

Repeat this step for each drive.

6. Select Also Empty Protected Files.

7 . Click OK, and then click OK again.

8 . Restart the computer. The "Nprotect" folder should then no longer exist, and you should be able to do your defrag.

If you want to continue using the Norton Protected Bin and Unerase, re-enable the Norton Protected Recycle Bin after you defrag.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.