I am a (not so) happy user of the AOL browsing software, and, apart from the (not so) few times where I get, "GOODBYE... WELCOME TO AOL!" and have about half an hours history missing, so I have to track my pages down... *:mad: grumble:mad: *... apart from that I find the browser faster and more stable than both FF and Oprah (FF tends to have trouble displaying 90% of images on a screen, same for O).

So can I get solutions for FF and O problems and ditch the obnoxious voice ruining my music when I log on? :lol:

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

1) First off, AOL is total junk. I think I have liberty in saying this, as I used to subscribe. ;) I would try to get away from it, especially seeing just how much memory and active content it eats up.

apart from that I find the browser faster and more stable than both FF and Oprah (FF tends to have trouble displaying 90% of images on a screen, same for O).

NOw, that's very odd. I'm a big FF user, and I've ahrdly ever had any problems with images on any site. Do you have IEView installed? This might be the problem.

Remember that AOL's proxy server converts all images to it's crappy compressed .ART format, even when using an external web browser. Often, external web browsers show images crappier than the AOL built-in software, because AOL's browser is "optimized" to show .ART images.

Wow...didn't know that.

Thanks Dani. :)

I've never subscribed to AOL, but I think the free version is great! The Music Archive allows you to watch and listen to thousands of songs and music videos from all the popular artists. Then, there's AIM, which not only gives you a free IM account, also free mail, and a free voice mail with your very own phone number. And this is all completely free -- no strings attached. All you need is internet.

I would agree though, that the paid version is probably bad.

When AOL first became available it was Ok, but on that same note, at that time all that was available to the general public was online services such as Prodigy, CompuServe, Delphi, and AOL, All of which offered unique services. now that full internet access is available to just about everybody, and Broadband access is becoming available to most people at the same or just slightly more cost than dial-up, there really is no reason to use AOL, it offers NOTHING that you can't get with a normal internet account. Sure some people may say that it's easier to use, but I have personally tried AOL at various times, starting with Version 1.0 years ago, to just recently the Free AOL 9.0 with Broadband, with multiple uses with other versions throughout the years. NOW, unless you have a specific NEED for AOL, (not sure what that would be), or for some reason just feel more confident using AOL, I would not recommend it. I personally noticed a considerable drop in my browsing speed when using the AOL software, and quite simply, I feel claustrophobic when using it.
I'm not sure why you are having the problem with pictures displaying on Firefox and Opera, I've used both of those browsers and have no problems at all. In fact I'm using firefox at this very moment. in my opinion (and many many others) Firefox is the best browser out there. All I can think is that you have changed some settings in the browsers to either not display images, or you have increased the security level to a point to where the browser is crippled to the point of uselessness. I'd check the options carefully and see if something jumps out at you to explain the problem.

I am a (not so) happy user of the AOL browsing software, and, apart from the (not so) few times where I get, "GOODBYE... WELCOME TO AOL!" and have about half an hours history missing, so I have to track my pages down... *:mad: grumble:mad: *... apart from that I find the browser faster and more stable than both FF and Oprah (FF tends to have trouble displaying 90% of images on a screen, same for O).

So can I get solutions for FF and O problems and ditch the obnoxious voice ruining my music when I log on? :lol:

commented: well said -'Stein :) +3

Well said shipwreck.

I second that.

Thanks Stein, :D on a side note though, as for you wondering if IEview was causing the problems with his firefox, I've had IEveiw installed for some time now, since some pages won't load in Firefox, and I've had no problems with it. (sure I could just load those pages in internet explorer, but I'm lazy, and I just can't stomach loading up that antique browser:cheesy:)

Well said shipwreck.

I second that.

AOL is a pile of crap.

Try tiscali.

If you want to view a website in AOL, then be prepared to memorise the URL because AOL is crap and does randonly re-start.

My isister is still with them, and always has that trouble, in addition to the speed it loads - like watching paint dry.

The only good thing about AOL is the free technical support number.

Well I wouldn't say that AOL is crap considering it's probably helped a lot of internet newbie get connected to the internet. I think it's probably a good building block for anyone who doesn't know a thing about computers and it's cheap. No I don't think it's worth it in the long run though. Eventually I think a human being is going to want to advance to a more streamline and free system like Firefox or the new Internet Explorer v7.0, which to my surprise loads images faster than firefox... why is that?

.. why is that?

To tell ya the truth, I don't know exactly why, but FF has been known to have an intial slowdown when first loading. However, this only occurs when first opening it.

Back to what you were saying, I would aruge that IE7 is still not a good option to to turn to, as it is one of the most targeted browsers on the market. This is due to the level of integration it has with the OS itself (ie, the more integrated it is, the easier it is to hack, etc).

Thanks.

... I would aruge that IE7 is still not a good option to to turn to, as it is one of the most targeted browsers on the market. This is due to the level of integration it has with the OS itself (ie, the more integrated it is, the easier it is to hack, etc).

Yeah you're probably right. Hackers do go for the most used products. Obviously. Still, if you're that paranoid about hackers I'm not sure using the internet at all is a good idea;) Not to be rude or anything. :)

Obviously. Still, if you're that paranoid about hackers I'm not sure using the internet at all is a good idea:)

:mrgreen:

In seriousness though, its not just hackers ya worry about. It's mostly malware.

But I know what you're saying. :)

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.