Newbie here so bear with me ...

I own a Dell (ok ok, get the groans out now) and the C:\ failed on me due to bad sectors. Luckly, my warranty was still good so they were nice enough to send me a replacement drive. I also had a secondary D:\ in the previous system for data storage. When I installed Windows XP on the new drive, the old D:\ was not attached. Once I got the OS up and working, I shut the computer down, installed the old D:\ as the secondary drive (Drive 1). I cannot get windows to assign a drive path letter to the old D:\ althought it is detected by BIOS and in Disk Management. I even have the old 'failed' C:\ attached through a SATA/USB 2.0 enclosure being detected but again, no drive path letter is assigned. Any one got any ideas?

Tech Spec:
Ram: 1G
HD type: SATA (so no issues with jumpers or slave settings; new drive is Drive 0)

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

under disk management there is a way to do it - i think you right click and theres some options. I think you need to make it active or something first through it or fdisk maybe

under disk management there is a way to do it - i think you right click and theres some options. I think you need to make it active or something first through it or fdisk maybe

I hope this isn't the only solution as there is data on that drive I want to recover. And I used disk management to verify that the drive is "healthy" and "active" but cannot use the 'change drive path' selection as it is grayed out. Thanks for the post though

ummmm...... diskdoctor orsomething?

The Microsoft web address posted did not help as well. The only options I have available under disk management when I right click a drive is "delete partition" everything else is grayed out. Even when I went to the command prompt module, the volume is not listed there.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.