This looks kinda like an off-topic forum, anyways, my question: Can I -without buying Windows XP again- install Windows XP (my current version) into VMWare? I want it so I can test things out like hacks, without worrying about messing up my computer, thanks! :)

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

This looks kinda like an off-topic forum, anyways, my question: Can I -without buying Windows XP again- install Windows XP (my current version) into VMWare?

Yup, as far as I know, that's completely possible. And a very good idea if you're planning on testing out stuff.

Ok, cool...NOW HOW DO I DO IT? Lol, thanks for telling me it's possible though!

Umm.. you install VMWare, and then... start VMWare, create a virtual machine, and boot the virtual machine off the XP disk. Go through the installation process, and then you'll have your very own Windows-in-Windows machine.

commented: Pretty helpful +1

Omg, thank you sooooooooo much!

Wait, can I boot off the hard drive? Because it didn't come with discs, my computer already had XP, and if I do it off hard drive, will it edit hard drive too if I edit stuff on VMWare?

Wait, can I boot off the hard drive?

That would be possible, but you must create an image of your hard drive that VMWare recognizes. You'll have to do some research, but I think it might recognize ISO images. You also must have enough hard drive space (at least 50% unused).

Yes, I have half of my hard drive that I can use...but I talked to Compaq (the people who made my computer) and they said it would be illegal! That I would have to buy a retail product.

but I talked to Compaq (the people who made my computer) and they said it would be illegal! That I would have to buy a retail product.

Those jerks... you're using Windows XP for personal use, and you're only installing it on one computer. I can't see why that would be illegal.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.