I am attempting to install windows xp on a new hard drive. When I get to the point in the installation that the computer will reboot in 15 seconds the computer will not proceed with the install. My computer continues to reboot and never makes it to the next part of the install. PLEASE HELP. Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 8 Replies

Hi

I think you need to look at your Bios, and address any issues.

Turn your PC on, and press F2 (or Del) until the Setup menu starts.

Apologies, I'm going to be vague, if you look down the menu list, you should find entries for Disk 0, and Disk 1, or something similar. The top entry should have your primary hard drive, and the second should have your CD Rom listed. If the top entry, is blank, use the commands listed at the bottom of the screen to enable your new harddrive.

I shall endevour to provide some more clarity when I am at work tomorrow.

Regards, David

I would appreciate a further explanation. I have changed the new hard drive to master using the jumpers. And in the CMOS set up all four entries are listed as Auto Detect. Is this what you mean?
Thanks

Hi

I've had another think, and guess, that you would have problems with the initial stages of installation if the HDD was not properly set up in Bios, but still feel the problem must exist within the Bios, or Raid Configuration.

Again in the Bios, have a look at the Boot Sequence, make sure the HDD is enabled, and for the moment set as the first boot device.

Is you new HDD a Sata drive, or IDE. If it is the former, the problem may be within the the Raid utility, which should be accessable during POST, (Power On Self Test, the black screen white text start up). Do you know what motherboard you have, maybe I can find instructions to further assist, otherwise you'll have to work out what key opens the utility, and how to configure it yourself. Try pressing all the "F" keys, (except F2 if that opens Bios).

I had the very same issue with my PC at home, and I had to find the Raid utility, F6 I think, and configured the drive to work.

Regards, David

My HDD is an IDE PATA 200GB Maxtor. My motherboard is an ECS however I do not have the model number with me at work. I have determined that F8 brings up the boot sequence which allows me to select where to boot from and DEL opens the BIOS settings. I am not sure I have seen the RAID utility before. I will try some of the other 'f' keys to see if I can access.

If my HDD type and Motherboard manufactureer sheds some light on the problem please let me know.

Thanks

Hi

No, you won't find a Raid utility if you use a IDE drive.

If you select F8, can you select Boot from Hard Drive, and does that work?

Regards, David

Pressing F8 allows me to select the HDD to boot from but it ends up back to the continuous boot. If I select the CD it boots back to the Windows set up screen and asks if I would like to install windows. I am lost.

If I cannot resolve this would it work if I installed Windows by connecting it to another computer? Would I then be able to put it in my computer? or is there something that happens with the installation that is computer specific?

Thanks

Hi

I'm afraid it wouldn't work, but I have no other ideas, sry.....

David

Thanks for your help. I will keep looking!

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.