I have an error that shows up and this is what it says.
Cannot find a device file that may be needed to run windows or windows application. The windows registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device, but this device no longer exists.You deleted this file on purpose. Try uninstalling the associated application using unisntall or setup program. If you still want to use the application associated with this device, try reinstalling the application to restore the missing file. Z:VVINESD.386

I have been trying to get my network starter kit going and tried messing with the IP addresess. I did not install anything or delete anything can anyone help me so I don't lose what is on my hard drive.

Recommended Answers

All 12 Replies

Does it say this:

The Windows Registry or SYSTEM.INI file refers to this device file, but the device file no longer exists.

If you deleted this file on purpose, try uninstalling the associated application using its inunstall or setup program.

If you still want to use the application associated with this device file, try reinstalling that applicatin to replace the missing file.

<<some word here>>
Preass a key to continue.

If it does:
1. Thank god, that was a bitch to type and at least it helped :-).

2. This is directly from my A+ Certification Manual:

Notice the word "<<some word here>>"? That's a line in the SYSTEM.INI file (probably) that needs correcting. Many applications and hardware install programs and dump lines into the SYSTEM.INI that are in most cases useless. Look for the line with the word in it, and try commenting it out by placing a ; before the line.

Tekmavens quote is absolutely correct ->

Typically these little annoying "missing files" do not affect the operationof the computer unless they happen to refer to a network logon type that you re-enable. If you use the standard windows logon - keep using it.
Sometimes this happens with laptop during install and you cannot have the CD and Floppy drives inserted at the same time - the install will look for the floppy during the later part of the install for certain files and then you are forced to ignore those files (because your laptop isn't hot-swap capable) and boom, here come the annoying start up messages.
I have a database archive computer sitting right next to me here at work that has been that way since 1996.

RESOLUTION
WARNING: If you use Registry Editor incorrectly, you may cause serious problems that may require you to reinstall your operating system.

1) To resolve this behavior:

2) Click Start, click Run, type sysedit in the Open box, and then click OK.

3) On the Window menu, click System.ini.

4) On the Search menu, click Find.

5) In the Find box, type vvinesd.386, and then press ENTER.

6) Type a semicolon (;) at the beginning of the line that contains "vvinesd.386."

7) On the File menu, click Save, and then click Exit on the File menu.

8) Restart your computer. If you receive the error message again, continue to step 8.

9) Click Start, point to Settings, click Control Panel, and then double-click Network.

10) If any of the following network components are present, remove them:

Banyan DOS/Windows 3.1 Client

Banyan VINES ethernet Protocol

Banyan VINES token ring Protocol

To remove a component, click the component, and then click Remove. Repeat this step

until all of these components are removed.

Click OK, and then click Yes. If you receive the error message again, continue to step 11.

11) Use Registry Editor to delete the following registry key, and then restart your computer:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\VXD\Vvinesd

Greetings.
Mine has Windows XP installed. I have read all the previous posts about bridge.dll and also this thread but their problems seem to be different from mine, I guess.
I couldn't load Windows at all.
At startup, this error message was shown:-

windows/system32/config/system missing.

The error message goes something like the above. I could not really remember the exact message. It also said, go to CPU Soft Menu to repair things or press 'R' to repair the XP installation.
Please advise.
Thanks.

I am having tha same problem as mister454, the only difference is at the end my message it doesn't say which file is missing. Any ideas??

I am having tha same problem as mister454, the only difference is at the end my message it doesn't say which file is missing. Any ideas??

Hi NoaaMan, welcome to TechTalk :)

You need to start your own thread for your question. For reasons of clarity, we ask that our members adhere to our "one member's question per thread" policy; things just tend to get too confusing otherwise. When you do post, please include as much specific info about the problem as possible (when it started, what changes might have been to the system at about that time, etc.).

Thanks for understanding.

-DMR

I am having the same problem as mister 454. I installed a hp printer and a window popped up at startup and informed me that dll print tray coud not be found. I uninstalled the printer but it kept popping up. I asked hp how I could get rid of this annoying window, and they told me to delete the hpz and hpf files. This is the message I get "Could not load or run hpsched specified in the winini file,make sure the file exists on your computer, or remove the reference to it in the winini file" c:\windows\system\vmm32\hpzio100.vxd" and then it says "Press any key to continue".

I sure would appreciate help in solving this problem.

Regards Edgar

People having this problem simply need to edit the WIN.INI file in such a way that the relevent entry is disabled from being processed.

There is a wonderful Guide to editing the WIN.INI file and disabling entries on Adobe's website:

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/26ae.htm

If you don't see the WIN.INI file when you use 'My Computer' to look at the Root Directory of your system drive, then find 'Folder Options' in the menu and on the 'Advanced' tab ensure that you have it set to display file extensions, and to display 'Protected Operating System files'. See this site for more detailed instructions:

http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/start-17.shtml

Following the Guide provided by Adobe, simply 'Remark' the relevent line(s) in the WIN.INI file, and disable the commands which are generating the message!

do you know how to fix the system.ini if so could you please help me thanks

Hi gumptownbaddest,

First of all- welcome to TechTalk!

We ask that members not tag their questions on to a thread previously started by another member (regardless of how similar your problem might seem). Not only does it divert the focus of the thread away from the original poster's problem, but it also makes it less likely that you yourself will get the individual attention that you need.

Please start your own thread and post your question there. When you do, please try to give us as much specific info as possible regarding the problem (exact error messages, system specs, etc.).

For a full description of our posting guidelines and general rules of conduct, please see this page:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforu...b_faq#faq_rules

Thanks for understanding.

windows registry or system ini. device file missing or deleted
c:\progra~1\aveo\megaphon\portshar.vxd
what do i do to fix this problem?

Becasue the member who originally started this topic has not responded in 2 years, this thread is considered abandoned and has been closed.

In accordance with our posting rules, all members who may be having similar problems need to start their own threads and ask their questions there.

New members are advised to read our full posting rules in order to acquaint themselves with our guidelines regarding use of these forums:

http://www.daniweb.com/techtalkforums/faq.php?faq=daniweb_faq#faq_rules

Thanks.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.