Specs (from what i can remember) -
Windows XP Professional - Completely up-to-date (service pack 2, weekly updates, etc.), dual 1.2 ghz athlon processors, radeon pro graphics, 256 SD ram, one 60 gb harddrive with 53 gb used and one 80 gb harddrive with 45 gb used, i'm not on a network

My problem:
Whenever i turn my computer on it takes around 10-15 minutes to reach the windows login screen. sometimes the computer will simply freeze with the harddrive light staying on solid without blinking while it's booting up and the monitor will turn off. whenever i am able to login it takes about 4 minutes for the windows screen with icons and taskbar to show up. pressing the "start button" takes a very long time. if i run a program it will sometimes freeze. finally, i am unable to restart my computer. whenever it is restarted it will shutdown to a point where the hard drive light stays on and the monitor turns off and won't come back on. i have to turn the power off at the wall and wait five minutes to turn the computer back on.

What i've tried:
I've emptied the precache, run various virus scans and removed all virus/adware using up-to-date virus software. i've used "system mechanic" to perform tasks such as defragmenting the harddrives, compacting the registy, removing temporary files, fixing system flaws, etc. finally i've removed the dust from the inside of the computer.

Well guys i'm completely at my wits end. i've done everything i can think of and the problems have gotten progessivly worse. my computer is now rarely even getting to the windows login screen. the last thing i can think of is that it may be related to my power supply except that it's relatively new so... help pls

Recommended Answers

All 5 Replies

If I were you, I'd start looking for a new hard drive. It sounds like yours is about to go up.

Specs (from what i can remember) -
Windows XP Professional - Completely up-to-date (service pack 2, weekly updates, etc.), dual 1.2 ghz athlon processors, radeon pro graphics, 256 SD ram, one 60 gb harddrive with 53 gb used and one 80 gb harddrive with 45 gb used, i'm not on a network

My problem:
Whenever i turn my computer on it takes around 10-15 minutes to reach the windows login screen. sometimes the computer will simply freeze with the harddrive light staying on solid without blinking while it's booting up and the monitor will turn off. whenever i am able to login it takes about 4 minutes for the windows screen with icons and taskbar to show up. pressing the "start button" takes a very long time. if i run a program it will sometimes freeze. finally, i am unable to restart my computer. whenever it is restarted it will shutdown to a point where the hard drive light stays on and the monitor turns off and won't come back on. i have to turn the power off at the wall and wait five minutes to turn the computer back on.

What i've tried:
I've emptied the precache, run various virus scans and removed all virus/adware using up-to-date virus software. i've used "system mechanic" to perform tasks such as defragmenting the harddrives, compacting the registy, removing temporary files, fixing system flaws, etc. finally i've removed the dust from the inside of the computer.

Well guys i'm completely at my wits end. i've done everything i can think of and the problems have gotten progessivly worse. my computer is now rarely even getting to the windows login screen. the last thing i can think of is that it may be related to my power supply except that it's relatively new so... help pls

If your OS has been install for a long time, you should defrag your harddrive, and delete as much as Aplication that you don't use, specially virus protection Apps, too much proctection Apps may slow down you PC, or you can look for better virus scan to scan your PC for virus, .ie spydoctor, ad-ware, spybot, but execpt north@!@

is windows installed on that 60GB drive?... cos it's getting kind of full. Try off-loading a few folders to the other drive. Just guessing....

Member Avatar for rajarajan2017

Will you try for reinstall the windows?

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.