I've set my SS so that it will kick in after 10 minutes of idleness and prompt for a PW before returning XP. However I've noticed whenever I leave media player open my SS will not kick in ever. Is there a way to circumvent this? Or do all apps have to be closed regardless? Thanks

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Your SS should kick in regardless of apps. It is only an instance of user input that will reset the clock. So even a continuing data stream dl which is updating the display will not prevent the SS from starting. Media player ditto - it can be playing an album but if u do nothing your SS will start. Okay, it should.

Tis what I thought, but if Media player is playing the SS never activates.

Aaarrgh!! You're so right! I just tested it....and so it is... media player stops the SS showing. Tricky things, puters. I don't actually bother with a SS - if i'm not looking at the screen, it's wasting its time [and life] putting on fancy moving images - so my SS is set to none, and power off after 5mins. But that doesn't really help you. Maybe just choose a nice media player graphic instead? I bet it is like that so that those visualisations keep going, say while you play an album- the mood would be so upset if your visualisation got cut by a bouncing ball. Try it then with no visualisation set....

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.