Hey Gang,
I'm running windows 98se with all the updates from MS. Here's my problem, Put a new dialup modem in my pc, loaded the drivers, everything went just fine, I can get on line, can do everything within windows. But when I try to change display resolution weather from control panel or right click desktop/properties/settings I get a dialog box telling me I'm trying to preform an illegal operation,operation will now close [rundll32 error]. don't know why putting a new modem would have anything to do with display settings, but prior to putting in the modem we had a bad electrical storm, power went out and the old modem cooked. Nothing has been the same since. Anyone got any idea's that may help me out? Thankyou.

Joe

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

I hope the lightening storm didnt ruin your computer somehow......

Have you tried restoring your registry to before you chanegd anything and see what happens then??

To restore:

1) Bootup and press F8 until you see a menu
2) Select option 5 (Command Prompt) and when your @ the prompt,type this: scanreg/restore
3) Restore an entry from before you installed the modem...

If this works,then there is a conflict of some kind with your modem.....

After you do this,you may have to re-install your new modem,but it will tell you if it is indeed the issue.....

Good luck -- Welcome to the site :)

I hope the lightening storm didnt ruin your computer somehow......

Have you tried restoring your registry to before you chanegd anything and see what happens then??

To restore:

1) Bootup and press F8 until you see a menu
2) Select option 5 (Command Prompt) and when your @ the prompt,type this: scanreg/restore
3) Restore an entry from before you installed the modem...

If this works,then there is a conflict of some kind with your modem.....

After you do this,you may have to re-install your new modem,but it will tell you if it is indeed the issue.....

Good luck -- Welcome to the site :)

Hey Dude,

Thanks for responding. Upon further troubleshooting I found that the real culprit was the old modem driver was not uninstalled before the new driver was installed. Don't know why modem driver conflicts would play a role in changing display settings,
but , I made the changes and all is well again. I really appreciate your help. Thanks again.

slo_byrne1

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.