I’m running Internet Explorer 6 and I am having trouble having multiple browser windows open. If I try to open more than one window, then Internet Explorer just shuts down. Also, if I visit a website and a small pop-up opens, then, again, the whole thing closes down.

The problem seems to have started when I downloaded the update for a web accelerator program called Onspeed. I have disabled and closed this program but Internet Explorer still does the same thing.

I have run my Anti-virus software (Norton) and I have run my spyware software (Pest patrol and Spybot). None of these detected anything. I even reinstalled Internet Explorer; again, no luck!

I would be extremely grateful if anyone has any views or advice on this matter.

Kind regards,

Picko70

Recommended Answers

All 36 Replies

I am having nearly the same problem. Any time I open a new IE browser, it closes the one I already ahd open, allowing only one at a time. Did you ever find a fix (other than using a different program)?

I'm having the same problem as budarchos. Any luck with this?

Remove that program from the Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs

Also remove any other programs you do not need. If you are unsure what you need and don't need then write down the name of the software and you can always go back and reinstall it. You can leave Windows Service Packs and Windows Hotfixes.

...disable any pop up blockers and try again. There's plenty of other stuff to try for this but I'd rather not sit here writing paragraphs trying to guess. Also it would be nice to know if this or some other software you remove causes this problem so we can look out for it in the future...so remove them one by one and take some notes ok? I bet you a pop up blocker + something else, maybe that program, is the cause behind the problem. You know how sometimes you get pop ups because of spyware? Well if the spyware is launching pop ups that close the original window when they launch and open a new one quickly so it looks like the same window and you have a pop up blocker maybe it's catching the spyware in the act and killing the pop up just as the spyware closes the original window...I know that sounds complicated but I've been able to witness this sort of behavior with pop up blockers and spyware in the past. Just another reason why the writers of spyware should be strung up by their toe nails and beaten. Good luck!

Interesting that you should mention pop up blockers- I think I have had my IE problem since I downloaded a security patch from Microsoft- which came with it's own pop up blocker. I have my own pop up Stopper, that I bought a year ago and has been working like gangbusters for me. Do you think both of them could be the problem?

Remove that program from the Control Panel-->Add/Remove Programs

Also remove any other programs you do not need. If you are unsure what you need and don't need then write down the name of the software and you can always go back and reinstall it. You can leave Windows Service Packs and Windows Hotfixes.

...disable any pop up blockers and try again. There's plenty of other stuff to try for this but I'd rather not sit here writing paragraphs trying to guess. Also it would be nice to know if this or some other software you remove causes this problem so we can look out for it in the future...so remove them one by one and take some notes ok? I bet you a pop up blocker + something else, maybe that program, is the cause behind the problem. You know how sometimes you get pop ups because of spyware? Well if the spyware is launching pop ups that close the original window when they launch and open a new one quickly so it looks like the same window and you have a pop up blocker maybe it's catching the spyware in the act and killing the pop up just as the spyware closes the original window...I know that sounds complicated but I've been able to witness this sort of behavior with pop up blockers and spyware in the past. Just another reason why the writers of spyware should be strung up by their toe nails and beaten. Good luck!

Found the answer to my woeful problem in another discussion. Hopefully this will help more people, please let me know if it does.

If you're having a problem where you cannot open a new Internet Explorer 6 window in Windows XP Professional without having IE close your first window (but you can open multiple My Computer windows and browse from those without a problem), just remove the Yahoo toolbar from Add/Remove Programs. I tried a million things, re-registering dll's, running sfc /scannow, installing/unistalling XP service pack 2, running Ad-Aware, Spybot, and a bunch of other logical things. The only thing that fixed it (and fixed it immediately, without a reboot), was to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar. I had two Yahoo toolbars and the Yahoo Messenger in Add/Remove Programs - I just uninstalled the two toolbars and my month of single IE window madness was finally over.

Hopefully this helps someone else. What a relief!

- WJB

YaHoo!! I don't like them ,any thing they have !!

I can't thank you enough for your help. My windows stacking problem is now fixed with the removal of the yahoo toolbar, the dratted thing!

Found the answer to my woeful problem in another discussion. Hopefully this will help more people, please let me know if it does.

If you're having a problem where you cannot open a new Internet Explorer 6 window in Windows XP Professional without having IE close your first window (but you can open multiple My Computer windows and browse from those without a problem), just remove the Yahoo toolbar from Add/Remove Programs. I tried a million things, re-registering dll's, running sfc /scannow, installing/unistalling XP service pack 2, running Ad-Aware, Spybot, and a bunch of other logical things. The only thing that fixed it (and fixed it immediately, without a reboot), was to uninstall the Yahoo toolbar. I had two Yahoo toolbars and the Yahoo Messenger in Add/Remove Programs - I just uninstalled the two toolbars and my month of single IE window madness was finally over.

- WJB

hi i read many replies all those are nearly good but the thing is that i think these dont work.
in my opinion you should try this
runcommand-- prefetch-- remove all things in that
then remove the cookies from temp internet files than mail wat problem it is giving and ya also try editing your internet security level and using a registry mechanic software
or if all doent work
try opera or firefox

Hello. The windows stacking problem is still working well. Here is what I tried before I found the last solution. I deleted my cookies, history and temp files. I tried multiple security settings and in the advanced folder it was not set to reuse the same window. I used AVG, Spybot and Adaware. Usually those tell me that there is something else wrong going on but they didn't. I also looked endlesly through the microsoft unhelpful files(!), and throughout the microsoft.com site. No help there either. I turned on my firewall and tried it and turned it off and it never made a difference. The quick fix was removing the yahoo toolbar. I didn't think it would work but it did! :lol:

hi i read many replies all those are nearly good but the thing is that i think these dont work.
in my opinion you should try this
runcommand-- prefetch-- remove all things in that
then remove the cookies from temp internet files than mail wat problem it is giving and ya also try editing your internet security level and using a registry mechanic software
or if all doent work
try opera or firefox

The actual file causing this problem is winshow.dll delete it and all is good.

If removing that file doesnt work. Delete all contents of the temp folder in the local settings folder of the user having the problem.

Hello. The windows stacking problem is still working well. Here is what I tried before I found the last solution. I deleted my cookies, history and temp files. I tried multiple security settings and in the advanced folder it was not set to reuse the same window. I used AVG, Spybot and Adaware. Usually those tell me that there is something else wrong going on but they didn't. I also looked endlesly through the microsoft unhelpful files(!), and throughout the microsoft.com site. No help there either. I turned on my firewall and tried it and turned it off and it never made a difference. The quick fix was removing the yahoo toolbar. I didn't think it would work but it did! :lol:

I too had tried all kinds of suggested solutions to the IE6 window not being able to open a new one. I guess some of the solutions were meant for another problem. I simply removed the Yahoo Toolbar, which had been installed (despite my telling the Yahoo Messenger not to install it). This fixed the issue. My problems had been that no matter what I tried, only one IE window would open. If I clicked on a html page that was targetted as "blank" meaning it opens in a fresh window, it would open the fresh window, but close the original.

Anyway, if you have this problem, before beating your head against registry reconfigs and different run commands, check to see if you have Yahoo Toolbar installed. Uninstall it and it should fix this annoyance.

Jeff

undefined
Just wanted to drop a line to Thank You for this helpful tid bit!! I have been going crazy trying to figure out why I could not open a second web browser w/o my first on closing! Thank you, Thank you, Thank you :lol:

- WJB

Fantastic! - I have been having this problem for months - I didn't even know that I had the Yahoo toolbar program installed, until I went to the 'add/remove' window. The toolbar was removed and I can now open as many browser windows as I like withaout any of them closing - thanks a million!

If you're having a problem where you cannot open a new Internet Explorer 6 window in Windows XP Professional without having IE close your first window (but you can open multiple My Computer windows and browse from those without a problem), just remove the Yahoo toolbar from Add/Remove Programs.

- WJB

Thanks WJB
Anyone know if I should remove the Yahoo Extras and Yahoo Mail as well? I like using Yahoo Instant messenger and getting mail alerts - does the 'Instant Messenger' program cover both these?

I suddenly couldn't open more than one window while downloading Adobe Reader 7.0(don't know if that had anything to do with it or not). When I went to Add/Remove to remove the 7.0, I saw the Yahoo Toolbar listed.
Removed it and the problem was solved immediately with no reboot. Got the idea from this thread. I've never been part of Yahoo or used it. I don't know how the toolbar showed up(no Yahoo Messenger present).

Thanks

This solution worked for me in Windows2000Professional. Many thanks.

Shockwave Player installed it on my system.
I had to register just to say thanks and to put that note out.

Rodney

I too was going crazy and could not figure out what I might have done inadvertantly to cause this. And when you multi-task it drives you even more crazy. As soon as I read about Yahoo tool bar I went directly to the ADD/REMOVE and sure enough it was there. I had just recently upgraded my version of Yahoo and I do not remember allowing toolbar to install. As soon as I did the uninstall my problem was also solved.

Thank you, thank you....

- WJB

Hello everyone

I have been having this problem for the last month and tried everything. I then did a google saerch which led me to this site. I have just uninstalled my yahoo toolbar and all sorted in seconds.

thanks a million

Tim

My IE explorer suddenly stopped creating multiple instances, Thanks to a posting in this group, I was able to fix it.

Indeed, Yahoo Toolbar is the problem. De-Install it. I am very surprised that Yahoo does not list this as a bug.

Took me a while to fix this.. Thanks for your help.

I think Adobe Acrobat installs Yahoo tool bar. When you get the prompt to upgrade Acrobat, just see what all it is installing and Yahoo toolbar will be there.

I don't know what is the conection between Yahoo and Adobe

Thank you so very much. This was driving me nuts and it's such a simple thing to fix!!

Fantastic! - I have been having this problem for months - I didn't even know that I had the Yahoo toolbar program installed, until I went to the 'add/remove' window. The toolbar was removed and I can now open as many browser windows as I like withaout any of them closing - thanks a million!

Worked for me also in Windows XP. Many thanks. :D

many thanks

- WJB

Thank you very much what a relief yahoo

- WJB

Thank you very much for this post. It saved me hours of troubleshooting!

Hey all -- I'm no tech person, but found this thread when I had precisely the same problem with IE: Couldn't open multiple windows and, similarly, couldn't keep an originating-window open when clicking and following a link.

I was bummed out when I saw that the unanimous fix was uninstall yahoo toolbar, etc., since I had done so some weeks ago. BUT, here's what I have to add to the mix. If you have uninstalled your yahoo stuff, and the problem persists: go to your Program Files folder(s) and investigate whether you still have some Yahoo files and programs. There was a Yahoo folder sitting in my program files, and when I deleted all of it, the problem went away.

Interesting footnote, when I first tried to delete the Yahoo stuff, I had IE open, and I kept getting an error message saying I had a program open that was "using" the Yahoo .exe file. Eureka! I said. I closed IE, deleted all the Yahoo folders, and voila, the problem is gone.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.