Yesterday my brothers old hd crashe so we bought a new one, plugged it in and installed windows on it. No problems so far windows started up fine and I logged into the microsoft update site, then I had to install some sort of updates to be able to run the site. I did that and after that I had to reboot the computer. But when windows started up again I got this evil Bluescreen of death :

UNMOUNTABLE_BOOT_VOLUME

***Stop 0x000000ED (0X81F4E900,0XC00014F,0X00000000,0X00000000)

Microsoft has some sort of fix for this, but then I have to download a file from the update page, that I need to install a program to use and then reboot, and after that I can't get past this problem, so I basically can't download the file.

Anyone got a smart way to fix this?

3 possible causes according to Microsoft ,did you try any of these fixes .

• Your computer uses an Ultra Direct Memory Access (UDMA) hard disk controller, and the following conditions are true:
• You use a standard 40-wire connector cable to connect the UDMA drive to the controller instead of the required 80-wire, 40-pin cable.
• The basic input/output system (BIOS) settings are configured to force the faster UDMA modes.
• The file system is damaged and cannot be mounted.

Fixes .
• Replace the 40-wire cable with an 80-wire UDMA cable.
• In the BIOS settings for your computer, load the 'Fail-Safe' default settings, and then reactivate the most frequently used options such as USB Support.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.