I got a new 500 watt PSU to solve the problem, and it still happens. It usually... :rolleyes: only happens during virus scans using Spybot search and destroy, or AVG

I even opened my case to air it out some, and keep the temp down. Is there anything besides the temperature failsafe that could be causing this?

Added: I read evilsilver's thread about the same sort of problem and the suggested solution. I know my directX and graphics drivers are up-to-date. I just updated them to get some games working. Would this Driverview program that is here: http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/driverview.html
do anything worthwhile? What would I do with the info if I saw some difference?

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Go to Control Panel, System, Advanced tab. Click on the Settings button for Startup and Recovery, uncheck Automatically restart under System Failure, click OK twice. Next time you have a problem you should get a blue screen, post the first few lines.

k, ill be sure to post when i get another error
tryin to recreate now

ok I got a blue screen today.
It said the following in the first few lines, but they seem useless to me:

A problem has detected and Windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer.
The problem seems to be caused by the following file:

The area there was blank, and no filename was listed. It went on to say that I should disable newly installed hardware or software, disable BIOS memory options like caching and shadowing (neither of which I am using)

There was an area with memory addresses listed after the text '*** STOP' also. If this info is of use, here they are:

0x40000080 (0x86D857D0, 0x867E29B8, 0x80550388, 0x00000001)

In Windows XP there is an "Event Viewer" which lists any and all problems you might experience, as well as possible resolutions. Click on Start, then Control Panel. When the Control Panel opens click on Administrative Tools, then click on Event Viewer. When the Event Viewer opens, on the left side, you will see 3 subfiles: Application, Security and System. Click on each one individually and scroll down until you see either a yellow warning and/or a red error. Make note of the Event ID number in the "Event." Double click on the error line. It will open a dialog box noting the date, time and source of the error, as well as a link to Microsoft Help and Support site that will offer additional possible causes and fixes.

i think it's more RAM issue, try to check it using testmem86:
http://www.memtest86.com/

ok well i spose i will have to run this off of a bootdisk?

Hello my dear colleague from the egg slicer faction: :cheesy:

This is a hard one - one of those cases where Google spits out similar questions and (if at all) useless answers only, and even the MS-KB fails miserably.

1. Event Viewer is a very good idea. Anything found?
2. Second, post a HijackThis log here - if it's really happening on virus scans and alike only, it could be worth to have a closer look on that.
3. Are your chipset drivers as new as the others? (Maybe you try that 'driverview' program and post a screenshot?)
4. When did the problem occur first? If it wasn't there forever, what did you change/install/eat (forget the last one) the days before

Also, if it's really happening while running anti-malware, any hardware issue is almost closed out and that's at least what I could see on Google - seeemingly no hardware issues whatsoever. But a strong, new PSU is always a good thing to have. Ah...yes:
5. Post some system specs please...

this happens to my dads. it was bad drivers

And I've seen this happen to systems specifically with SiS hardware. And as mentioned before, update the chipset driver.

I guess problem is gone, i no longer have spontaneous restarts. i decided i would try several of the solutions, and see if the problem continued, and it does not. what i did was: updated SiS chipset drivers, reinstalled spybot (which was running during most of my crashes, and last I cleaned my proc. heatsink fins (they were CLOGGED BADLY.. eek, probably the problem all along)

so, thanks guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.