I've found a nice visual walkthrough for Vista installation here.

Additionally, post any tips for Vista installation here.

Thanks.

Recommended Answers

All 54 Replies

i like the new partitioner

Oh yeah, in case anyone is wondering why VirtualPC sound doesnt work in vista its because vista got rid of all ISA support and VirtualPC emulates an ISA soundblaster card. Also of note is the fact virtualPC will not boot the vista image itself

Try to play with the MBR(master boot record) of a HDD and you will find installing of a Vista quite boring. Heh, you won't install it, because Vista will write: You cannot install this OS on this disk, because it is a dynamic disc. But the main part is, that it won't let you format the HDD or anything else except exit from the installation.

well how come I have vista 5600 installed and running no probs on VirtualPC 2004?

hey Vista is a total rip off of the mac. AERO

Vista might be a total rip off of the Mac, but M$ will do w/e possible to make money:lol: ... even when I bought Ultimate from Future Shop, the salesperson kept on repeating on how its got a lot of features that the Mac has!

hai this is yaswanth can any one upload the windows vista plz...............

no

commented: xD +1

I found a couple things about the installation that have really irked me. The first is the computer performance check after the files are installed.

The second thing is the hard drive requirement. If you want to buy this OS, I wouldn't even consider installing it on a hard drive smaller than 120 gigs.

120 gigs? I have Vista installed on a 70 gig partition. With all my software installed, my C: drive uses just under 32 gigs.

120 gigs? I have Vista installed on a 70 gig partition. With all my software installed, my C: drive uses just under 32 gigs.

I had a spare 20 gig hard drive that I use as an emergency back up. That drive is broken into 2 10 gig partitions. It would not install on one of those partitions because it told me it needed 11 gigs of required free space.

I'm doing a clean install of Vista Home Basic on a unpartitioned 160 gig hard drive right now. The OS itself is around 3.8 gigs. After taking out the required 11 gigs of free space, that's just under 15 gigs gone before I even start installing programs. On a 120 gig hard drive, that's just under 1/6th of the drive.

I still stand up to what I said in my previous post. Vista just isn't feasible to install on anything lower than a 120 gig hard drive if you plan on putting large files onto those drives.

I forgot to add in my previous post that I have XP Pro installed on one of those 10 gig partitions in that 20 gig hard drive. That partition has 4.5 gigs of free space left after the programs I use for backups have been installed.

!!! I have vista on a 20 gig partition. After installation, barely 4 gigs are left for other programs.

i know, vista needs at least a 30gb HDD to run nicely.

hai this is yaswanth can any one upload the windows vista plz...............

Hi Yas;
There are some sites you can download windows vista trial if u wud like to experience it, otherwize its in stores now so u can jus go n get yourself a copy and i dont think anyone will jus upload vista for u.

yes, and if you are implying piracy then go look somewhere else. daniweb is not the place for that.

I agree that Vista is pretty demanding when it comes to drive size. The price of storage today is much better than just a few years ago. To take full advantage of Vista you should check your hardware to make sure you can use the "Media Center" that is now built into Windows Vista. If you are buying a new PC the hardware will be compatible, older hardware will require some research.

Hi Guys

I have raised this question in one of the other threads as well and thought that it is a bit relevant here as well. As this thread is about installing Vista, is there anyone who could provide some hints or tips on how to get Vista on Dual boot (say with XP, 2000 etc)?

What is it that we have to be careful about? like if theres already Vista loaded on do we have to format the drive and install both the os again obviously after making required partitions for both OSs.

But as long as Vista requiring 120 gig is concerned I dont think thats correct. I got it on a 60 gig partition with at least about 45+gig left fot documents etc. It does need other resources as memory and graphics ability but HDD requirement of 120 is juss ridiculous.

Regards
Raj

id say 60gb

vista + office + drivers + updates comes to like 35+ gb

I found a couple things about the installation that have really irked me. The first is the computer performance check after the files are installed.

The second thing is the hard drive requirement. If you want to buy this OS, I wouldn't even consider installing it on a hard drive smaller than 120 gigs.

I have Vista Ultimate on a WD 80gig hard drive. You don't know what you are talking about

Hi Guys

I have raised this question in one of the other threads as well and thought that it is a bit relevant here as well. As this thread is about installing Vista, is there anyone who could provide some hints or tips on how to get Vista on Dual boot (say with XP, 2000 etc)?

What is it that we have to be careful about? like if theres already Vista loaded on do we have to format the drive and install both the os again obviously after making required partitions for both OSs.

But as long as Vista requiring 120 gig is concerned I dont think thats correct. I got it on a 60 gig partition with at least about 45+gig left fot documents etc. It does need other resources as memory and graphics ability but HDD requirement of 120 is juss ridiculous.

Regards
Raj

Well, the thing you need to keep in mind is the older OS is always installed first. You'll need multiple partitions for the same. I suggest 15 Gigs for XP, 40 Gigs for Vista. Once you've partitioned, install XP first and follow this up with Vista. That way, the Boot Configuuration Editor will add XP to the boot list and you'll be given an option of booting either OS on power up. If you've already installed Vista and want to load XP now, doing so will overwrite Vista's boot files, rendering it inaccessible. Once XP is installed, you can use the Vista DVD to edit the boot data to enable dual boot but that's a cryptic process. I'd suggest the former method.

Do revert for clarifications.

put xp on the first primary partition on the first drive if possible. It will stop it complaining. Vista is less picky

HI,
i think you can make vista to dual boot using acronics disk director suite.this application allows you to use as many os on your system as your HDD can take and they can be installed in any other with this application. the user guide is on the application to teach you how to go about it
i hope this helps
thanks

you can just use NTLDR

hello,
i don't understand.what is NTLDR and are you replying to my post on VISTA ACTIVATION

yes.

NTLDR is the windows bootloader made by microsoft. I use it to dual boot windows 2000 and XP

vista home is about as good as it gets i think for vista as all the other just seem to cause the whole system to just run like a snail and thats with 2 gig of ram and a 512mb graphics card.
You may aswell run a pentium 3 with a 32mb memory and a bog stand graphics card for the same effect.

I think that installing Windows systems is too easy, It's really easy! :)

I installed my free version of 64 Bit Vista Ultimate this morning, and it was fairly simple.
ASUS A8V Deluxe
2 GB DDR2
NVIDIA GeForce 6200
Athlon 64 3200+
I'm dual-booting with XP Home, Vista is on a second drive making the install very simple.
There was a minor hang with my ancient HP 812C printer, but Windows actually found a driver on the internet, first for me.
The Promise RAID controller was more difficult, but I found it in ten minutes or so.
I installed FIrefox and Thunderbird, and used Mozbackup to import my settings from the XP install. Worked flawlessly.
So far, so good.

vista can be installed on a 20gb hard drive with a few gigs left. Installed on my 20gb virtual pc well and i still had 9gb left as free space.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.