hey everyone, just signed up here cos i've realised i know much less about pcs than i thought i did... i thought it was about time i upgraded my OS from windows 98 but didn't want to pay any money so borrowed my parents installation discs for Windows ME. i didn't read the big writing on the disc saying FOR USE ONLY WITH A TINY PC (mine's a DELL) and now my computer won't start up and just says

3Com PXE, version 0.99j.03
copyright (c) 1997, 1998 intel corporation. all rights reserved.
(c) copyright 1998 lanworks technologies co. a subsidiary of 3com corporation

pxe-e61:media test failure, check cable.
pxe-mof: exiting pxe

strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility

now i don't know what to do. a friend suggested i tried reinstalling windows 98 again but i can't cos i bought my pc refurbished and it didn't come with any discs.

if any one can help me i'd be really grateful

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

First, check in the BIOS and see if the hard drive is getting detected. If it is, use the Windows ME CD to boot to DOS mode and type the following commands:

fdisk /mbr
sys C:

and then check if the issue is resolved. If not, let us know and we'll see what else can be done, short of a complete reinstall.

i'm in bios and it says

diskette drive a: 3.5inch, 720kb
diskette drive b: not installed
use zip as a or b: off

drives:
primary types cyls hds pre lz sec size
drive 0:auto eide drive 10239
drive 1:none
secondary
drive 0:auto
drive 1: none

reserved memory: none
cpu speed: 450 mhz
num lock:on
chassis intrusion: inabled silent
dac snoop: off
acpi:off

Good dey to you all , my system running on windows 2003 server whit raid 5 configure but now one of the disk is bad i need to fixed another one but i don't know how to configure the raid please help me out ...................... francis Olas

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.