OK - so I installed windows 2003 server on my desktop, which is in the basement. I have a laptop upstairs (xp) which I want to connect to the desktop over remote desktop. This is working ok (networking, etc), except the way that 2003 server is working, it's making it that when I log in from the laptop over remote desktop, it effectively creates a 'new session', meaning that no applications are open etc. What I actually want to do is to 'take over' the session that I had started when I was in the basement. If I were to disconnect/log off from the remote desktop and go to the basement, I would want to be able to continue. (Basically that I have one 'session' and that no matter whether I am on the laptop over remote connection or the desktop itself that I see everything the same). This used to be the way it worked when I had XP on the desktop. How do I make 2003 server behave the same way? (I realize that this sort of goes against the purpose of a server operating system but...)

Some other things to note:
- I am logged in as the Administrator user.
- The reason I installed 2003 enterprise server is that I wanted to have the upgraded IIS, etc.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Okay
Have the server logged in locally.
Never log off to close the connection, always use the close button.
If you do find that it is forcing an extra session for you, then log in anyway and go to Start > Programs > Administrative Tools > Terminal Services Manager
Select your server. The session which you are currently using has the user object icon shaded green. You can connect to another session and and log another session off by right-clicking.

The best way to complete this is to open up the command prompt and type: mstsc /v:XXXX /console

mstsc - Launches MicroSoft Terminal Service Client
/v:XXXX - Is the computer to connect to
XXXX - Is the computer name or direct ip
/console - Attaches to the remote machines console session.

Even if the remote machine does not currently have a user logged into the console session the above command will connect to console session. The console session is a local logon with session ID 0. If a user is logged into the console session and the above command is run you will take over the console session. When you are ready to go down stairs to your server make sure you DISCONNECT from the remote server NOT LOG OFF. If you log off that will end the session. After disconnecting go down to server and press Ctrl + Alt + Del and login in to local (console session) and pick up where you left off. Also you must be using same user. You can't remotely login as JohnDoe with the above command then disconnect goto server and Locally logon as Administrator. This action will prompt you to logout JohnDoe and all unsaved work will be lost. And its the same if you locally logon as JohnDoe and the remotely attaching to console session as Administrator. Oh yeah, and I think that to attach to console session the user not only needs to be in Remote Desktop Users Group but also needs to be a administrator of the server.

commented: interesting (iamthwee) +6

For anyone else whoever might still need to know this. Even easier than the command above if you just include /console in the computer field of the gui Remote Desktop Connection.

Examples:
192.168.0.1 /console
fake.rdcserver.com /console

thats help me... thanks..

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.