:rolleyes: I have a compaq 1275 laptop that came with a toshiba 4.3gb hard drive I got a IBM travelstar 20gb for free model #djsa-220 would I be able to install it in my laptop and also I have the quick recovery cd's that came with the computer that puts the original image on the hard drive,would I be able to load that image on the new drive?:?:

Recommended Answers

All 10 Replies

Yes. No problems. Just check your jumpers on the new drive to assure they are correct for your computer and not the last one.

Im having a problem with a hardrive and only have the recovery cd, not the xp cd. Would I be able to run fdisk, then stick the recovery cd in and it will still recover? Its the manufacturers recovery cd (Toshiba). Also ive ran it already but it doesnt sort my problem..(missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\system).recovery runs fine then restart and same prob as before.

Im having a problem with a hardrive and only have the recovery cd, not the xp cd. Would I be able to run fdisk, then stick the recovery cd in and it will still recover? Its the manufacturers recovery cd (Toshiba). Also ive ran it already but it doesn't sort my problem..(missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\system).recovery runs fine then restart and same prob as before.

You should be able to boot to the recovery cd,click on to install windows ,when asked delete portion and then create a new one .,then click enter to install windows and format it ntfs, []Remember that this will remove all data on the hdd.also some recovery cd give the option to do a nondestructive install of windows !Some do some don't .

Have you tried this to fix the error you recieve .(missing/corrupt windows\system32\config\system)
http://www.myfixes.com/articles/system

The only options i have when the restore cd runs is complete wipe of everything, which ive done and it doesnt solve the problem, or advanced settings which just allows you to choose which ghost image to use basically. I just tried the guide you gave me, still hasnt sorted the problem, method A and B didnt work. I never had the restore points, so tried the alternative method it goves, still didnt work

The only options i have when the restore cd runs is complete wipe of everything, which ive done and it doesnt solve the problem, or advanced settings which just allows you to choose which ghost image to use basically. I just tried the guide you gave me, still hasnt sorted the problem, method A and B didnt work. I never had the restore points, so tried the alternative method it goves, still didnt work

so yo ucompletly wiped windows and reinstall winxp with the recovery and the computer still will not boot to winxp .

or advanced settings which just allows you to choose which ghost image to use basically.

so you need to use a ghost image to reinstall winxp i do believe .

As far as i believe thats all the recovery cd is, a ghost image. I dont have the windows xp cd so i cant choose to reinstall wondows manually

As far as i believe thats all the recovery cd is, a ghost image. I dont have the windows xp cd so i cant choose to reinstall wondows manually

im lost, your first post is about changing hdd,so you need to use the recovery ghost image to install xp on the bigger drive.or on the original hdd.

Edit : i just noticed you aren't the original poster !!!

lol, yeh, I sort of just hijacked the thread I think! So theres no way of reinstalling windows from this recovery cd as it only gives 2 options for recovery, which are basically ghost images. If i got a media center cd from someone and installed it, could I use my serial number and it would work?

lol, yeh, I sort of just hijacked the thread I think! So theres no way of reinstalling windows from this recovery cd as it only gives 2 options for recovery, which are basically ghost images. If i got a media center cd from someone and installed it, could I use my serial number and it would work?

first ,if you ran the ghost image it will install windows and give warning that all existing data will be lost ,i think it does a quick format ,or maybe just overwrites old, as for borrowing a windows disk ,yes as long as its the same version as what your key if for.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.