Can Anyone Please Tell Me What This Means & How I Can Fix This Issue? I Am Using An Older Toshiba Laptop And Whether I Put In A Cd-rom(that's Been Burned With Music On It) Or A Blank Cd, I Receive The Message " Please Insert Disc Into Drive D"
What Can I Do To Fix This Problem?
Thank You In Advance, Stephan

Recommended Answers

All 2 Replies

Can Anyone Please Tell Me What This Means & How I Can Fix This Issue? I Am Using An Older Toshiba Laptop And Whether I Put In A Cd-rom(that's Been Burned With Music On It) Or A Blank Cd, I Receive The Message " Please Insert Disc Into Drive D"
What Can I Do To Fix This Problem?
Thank You In Advance, Stephan

so if you put a legit cd,and not a burnt one in the drive does it work ,if no then mostlikey cause is that the drive is bad .

Hi

This is a very common problem with the C2502. Do a google search for "toshiba c2502 won't read cd" and you'll see what I mean. Although some people have had a little luck by judiciously cleaning the laser lens, the only real solution is to replace the drive.
I also had a 2502 that read DVDs but would not read any CDs. It used to read CDs, but not anymore.

In diagnosing the problem, I tried DOS, Win98, WinME, Win2000, and WinXP. It didn't matter. The 2502 read DVDs under all OS's, and didn't read CDs under any of them.

I swapped drives around amongst 4 different laptops (three different models). Three of the CD/DVD drives worked in all four laptops. The 2502 didn't work in any of them.

I tried flashing to three different firmware versions--1D13, 1D23, and a hacked XD23 firmware (the hack was for region-free DVDing, not for our problem). None made any difference (though I didn't really think it would).

These tests proved that it was a hardware problem with my Toshiba SD-C2502 drive. Not Windows, not software (driver), not firmware, not the laptop.

In rummaging around the internet, I came across many other discussion groups with complaints about the same problem with the C2502--DVDs read ok, but CDs don't read. It's curious that the earliest complaints I found began about late-2004/early-2005, but I didn't find anything earlier.

According to docs at toshiba.com, the SD-C2502 first shipped in 2000. If this was an original design defect, there should have been problem reports back then. The latest firmware (1D23) is dated 2002. If this was a firmware problem, it should have shown up earlier. Since problems began showing up years later, my guess is that it's some kind of early degeneration of the hardware. My 2502 used to read CDs, but doesn't any more. I think we will continue hearing from more 2502 users as their drives begin to fail.

I don't believe this is repairable. Replace the drive. But I would stay away from getting another refurb'd 2502.

Hope this helps

Darren
South Africa

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.