On MacBooks, Powerbooks, and some iBooks (I think), the scroll function is using two fingers. On my new laptop, the function is scrolling with the far right of the pad. Is there an application for Windows XP that will activate this function? I have a Synaptic Touchpad.

-- Alex

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

Had to sign up to Daniweb to read this thread. Lovely stuff.

On MacBooks, Powerbooks, and some iBooks (I think), the scroll function is using two fingers. On my new laptop, the function is scrolling with the far right of the pad. Is there an application for Windows XP that will activate this function? I have a Synaptic Touchpad.

-- Alex

Hi Alex.

I have a Macbook and also an old Compaq Presario notebook.
I got two finger scrolling and right click in my Presario using linux!! I'm bit surprised that this great feature of Apple Notebooks can work on the tight trackpads of non-apple notebooks.

However, I don't know if this is possible in Windows. It seems that some synaptics touchpads can recognize two fingers resting on it but i think this is not enabled, or even not implemented, in synaptics windows drivers. In linux you can add these features easily (but not documented) adding some options in the synaptics driver section of Xorg configuration file.

If you feel like experimenting linux, i can help you with this issue.

Ok guys this shoud be interesting... A relative has a new toshiba satellite loaded with (raspberries) Vista. When updating the Vista it ATE the old synaptics driver that allowed multiple functions on the touch pad. I would have just rolled back the driver but several other drivers were attempted. Now we can't find the synaptics driver that came with the machine.
Any ideas? We've been to toshiba.com but they don't have the same driver that came with the machine...

Thanks!

Ok guys this shoud be interesting... A relative has a new toshiba satellite loaded with (raspberries) Vista. When updating the Vista it ATE the old synaptics driver that allowed multiple functions on the touch pad. I would have just rolled back the driver but several other drivers were attempted. Now we can't find the synaptics driver that came with the machine.
Any ideas? We've been to toshiba.com but they don't have the same driver that came with the machine...

Thanks!

sometimes (in the root of your local drive) you will have a folder called 'Applications' (or similar) and in this you'll have a 'Drivers' folder. Basically these are all your computer's original drivers

if this don't work try and find it on the synaptics website
good luck

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.