I won't bore you withe details but I have finished up with Pro 64Bit on an ntfs dynamic SATA drive and XPhome on an ntfs basic SATA drive. I was trying to set up a dual boot system but it didn't work. When both drives are connected XP Home launches and it can't "see" the other drive as it is "foreign". OSL2000 Boot manager, does not work either.

Is there any way I can recreate the 64bit installation on a basic disc without losing all the settings and software?

e.g. could one take an image of the drive, then reformat as basic and then recopy the image?

Many thanks, Robert

Recommended Answers

All 3 Replies

Member Avatar for iamthwee

Not sure about 64bit systems but have you tried partition magic. I don't think it's free though.

Of course failing that, you could reformat your pc and set up a dual boot using the xp options. But of course you'll loose all your data then.

Not sure about 64bit systems but have you tried partition magic. I don't think it's free though.

Of course failing that, you could reformat your pc and set up a dual boot using the xp options. But of course you'll loose all your data then.

Thanks for thoughts iamthwee. I don't mind paying for Partition Magic or Ghost if they work. There is also Acronis to try. My fear is not being able to restore to a basic drive with an image taken from a dynamic disk. I guess I'll just have to try it. At worst, I suppose I can change the disk back to dynamic and think again!

Robert

Acronis is no use as it does not support dynamic disks. No mention of this anywhwere. Fortunately it was on a "free to try" basis.

Robert

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.