I have a home network with a laptop (wireless) and a PC (wired), both connect to the internet through a DSL 2-wire gateway from Qwest. My PC has developed a problem connecting to the internet from a browser. I can get e-mail and my programs update automatically, but cannot connect using HTTP. I can ping websites. I have installed, uninstalled, and reinstalled IE7. I tried Mozilla. Nothing will connect. I can connect fine using the laptop. My network is working and I can see and access each computer from the other. I have checked all the settings and made the PC settings the same as the laptop. Help..

Recommended Answers

All 13 Replies

Sounds like perhaps the winsocks are messed up so one thing you could try if this is a computer with Windows XP with SP2 installed, I am going to assume that this is the case.
1. Click on Start then go to Run and type cmd then enter or click ok to bring up the command prompt.
2. At the command prompt type in "netsh reset winsock catalog" with out the quotes then after a few seconds it should tell you that it successfully reset the catalog and to restart the system.
3. type exit then press enter.
4. Restart computer and try connecting and browsing again.

Sounds like perhaps the winsocks are messed up so one thing you could try if this is a computer with Windows XP with SP2 installed, I am going to assume that this is the case.
1. Click on Start then go to Run and type cmd then enter or click ok to bring up the command prompt.
2. At the command prompt type in "netsh reset winsock catalog" with out the quotes then after a few seconds it should tell you that it successfully reset the catalog and to restart the system.
3. type exit then press enter.
4. Restart computer and try connecting and browsing again.

Thank you, thank you, thank you! I knew it must be something relatively simple, but I was not familiar with the netsh command. It worked perfectly and my PC is now browsing normally. I did have to change the syntax slightly to: "netsh winsock reset catalog" but you got me on the right track. Thanks again.
briano@lgcy.com

I have Windows Vista Home Premium and my browser seems to have the same problem, when i tried the command it seemed to work fine, but the problem remained
it's only http:// sites that don't work, i have tried every way to fix it that is possible, firewalls, anti-virus application reinstalls,
nothing seems to work

Help Please???

I have a similar problem and tried the above solution, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem
I am on a home network with DSL connection running through a Linksys wireless access point router. My desktop (vista) is directly connected and the internet is functioning normally on this pc. My laptop (Windows XP SP2) however is giving me some issues. It connects to the network fine and even appears to be connected to the internet, as evidenced by software updating and full functionality of googletalk, however neither IE or Firefox will load any sites. Firefox tells me:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at "whatever site I try to access.com"
-The site could be temporarily unavailable of too busy. Try again in a few minutes
-If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
-If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

None of that helped me. I've tried Window's network repair, reinstalling firefox, resetting my router, the solution mentioned above, various other attempted solutions, and I've been looking around these forums for awhile for anything else that might help. Nothing.

If I need to pass on any more information please let me know.

Another bit of information.
Ran the ipconfig command prompt at got the following result: Connection-specific DNS suffix: domain_not_set.invalid

Does this information apply?
The TCP/IP is configured to obtain DNS server address automatically.

To anyone who uses WINDOWS LIVE FAMILY SAFETY
and HASN'T BOTHERED to SET IT UP

LIKE ME!!!!!!!!

SET IT UP

or remove it from startup

"*windows key* + R" -> "MSCONFIG" -> "services" -> "Windows live family safety"

Uncheck the box and restart your computer

should work puuuuurrfectly

These next quotes are to gain as many search engines attention as possible
so that the problem may be resolved for more people as quickly as possible

Windows Internet Explorer Page Cannot Be Displayed
Firefox Won't connect to the internet
Internet explorer Connection errors

i can't think of any others....

who else agree's that i'm stupid???

That didn't solve my problem, I don't use that service, and it wasn't in the list of services.

Thanks though :)

Solved the problem. :)
Just thought I'd give people one more possible solution to try if they're having similar problems.

I discovered that Zone Alarm randomly started blocking my browsers. (even though the program list was set to alow them) I uninstalled and then reinstalled Zone Alarm and my browsers work fine.

I have a similar problem and tried the above solution, unfortunately it didn't solve the problem
I am on a home network with DSL connection running through a Linksys wireless access point router. My desktop (vista) is directly connected and the internet is functioning normally on this pc. My laptop (Windows XP SP2) however is giving me some issues. It connects to the network fine and even appears to be connected to the internet, as evidenced by software updating and full functionality of googletalk, however neither IE or Firefox will load any sites. Firefox tells me:
Unable to connect
Firefox can't establish a connection to the server at "whatever site I try to access.com"
-The site could be temporarily unavailable of too busy. Try again in a few minutes
-If you are unable to load any pages, check your computer's network connection.
-If your computer or network is protected by a firewall or proxy, make sure that Firefox is permitted to access the Web.

None of that helped me. I've tried Window's network repair, reinstalling firefox, resetting my router, the solution mentioned above, various other attempted solutions, and I've been looking around these forums for awhile for anything else that might help. Nothing.

If I need to pass on any more information please let me know.

I have the exact same issue. I believe it has something to do with a virus, but you have the exact same issue I have. Has it been resolved yet?

I have the exact same issue. I believe it has something to do with a virus, but you have the exact same issue I have. Has it been resolved yet?

Hi, welcome to Daniweb ,you have hijacked an old post .please start you own explaining your problem ,and best go to virus forum and read the stickies and then post some info for someone there to help you with your virus . good luck .click link below
http://www.daniweb.com/forums/forum64.html

I tried all this and some other fixes and virus scans, nothing worked. Did a System Restore to a couple days prior and IE and Firefox are working again, woohoo!
If you have Windows XP:
Go to Start > Programs > Accessories > System Tools > System Restore

A pretty simple fix to try, before you get too complicated.

load internet page and google is frozen, what is wrong and can it be fixed???

netsh winsock reset catalog
I had the same problem with IE and Firefox, as mitong (post made 5 years ago). "netsh winsock reset catalog" worked just fine. It takes about 1-2 minutes to process, but it works. Thank you guys.

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.