Member Avatar for ingeborgdot@yah

I was reading an article in maximum pc about building a $1500 pc. Anyway one of the components was xp pro oem. It said the price was $99. Where did he get this for that price? I want it.

Recommended Answers

All 4 Replies

I imagine that he purchased XP Pro OEM. OEM stands for Original Equipment Manufacturer

http://www.webopedia.com/TERM/O/OEM.html

XP Pro OEM is cheaper than XP Pro Retail product, but the license only allows you to buy this at the same time as the PC (or will be the version shipped with a new PC), or PC Components.

If you wanted to buy XP on OEM, then you would need to replace a main component of your PC, such as MOBO, CPU or Harddrive. (I'm not sure of the exact terms).

Most Computer Component retailers will sell OEM software, but being from the UK, I can't give you any good US links.

Regards, Dave

i got OEM xp pro with a £20 hdd for a total of less than £180 (xp home full price) off of novatech

only lets you install on 1 hardware though. if you change the cpu/mobo/hdd xp will not run anymore - also i think there is a max of 3 reinstalls

i got OEM xp pro with a £20 hdd for a total of less than £180 (xp home full price) off of novatech

only lets you install on 1 hardware though. if you change the cpu/mobo/hdd xp will not run anymore - also i think there is a max of 3 reinstalls

All that happens after the limited number of reinstalls is that you have to ring Microsoft and convince them that its not a new machine. Mobo is probably the significant factor. You are certainly allowed to expand and repair machines.

ram and graphics card etc.. upgrades are fine just primray hard disk, cpu and mobo arent liked

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.