I run XP Pro and have been getting random blue screen crashes over the last few weeks and didn't know how to solve them. I decided the best bet was to format the hard drive (having backed up all my data) and reinstall everything.

Now as I boot up from CD, after XP has copied it's first few files across to set up, I get an IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL error

I have looked it up on other forums, but my stop error number seems to be different to the one everyone else gets!

I get:

***STOP: 0x0000000A (0x0114E28C, 0x00000002, 0x00000000, 0x80814FFE)

I have not installed any new hardware recently - the same system has been running fine for months.
The only thing that has changed is that my fan is getting a bit noisy and random!
RAM has been suggested as a possible problem - I have 1 gb

Any ideas? I am completely stuck.
I do have an old hard drive which I can boot up into windows if that is useful information for any good soul who may provide an answer.

Here's hoping - many thanks

An IRQ error usually means a PC card is unseated, a drive connector is loose, or two devices are fighting over the bus. It is not a hard disk problem (unless the controlle cardr has failed or the cable is loose).

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.