i reinstalled my windows xp cd because of previous problems and now i have another problem

when i click on my computers then check my hard drive

it indicates that i have 30gb left and i have a 100gb hd. i tried to find these files so i can delete them but i couldnt find any. i think it would be easy to find 60 gigs but no luck. is there a way i can get my hard drive to be like new again? and please explain how

Recommended Answers

All 7 Replies

format c: /u/v ;)

How many partitions do you have in your comuter? When you did reload the OS, did you delete the previous partition? Try runing chkdsk /r in the Recovery Console to eliminate any possibility of a problem with the file system.

Ofcourse, you could also try running tools like Disk Cleanup and deleting ols System Restore points. Try these steps and let us know what happens.

How many partitions do you have in your comuter? When you did reload the OS, did you delete the previous partition? Try runing chkdsk /r in the Recovery Console to eliminate any possibility of a problem with the file system.

when i reloaded the OS, it said i have 31000 mb free space and 93000 capacity. there are no other partition. i tried deleting that one but didnt let me.

i tried doing the system restore from disk cleanup, and it still didnt do anything.

how do i run chkdsk /r in the recovery console? or there might be other possible solutions?

i already have another hard drive for my laptop, but i dont want to throw this hard drive away because of this problem

~ty for ur help

you have another thread running on this same topic...

the other one was about my desktop problem and now its my hard drive >:

The best thing to do would be to format c: and reinstall windows..................you might have some setup files still on your pc. At this moment I would say that this is best option because you dont really want to lose your hdd.

"Quoted by gerbil:

the other one was about my desktop problem and now its my hard drive >:"

"ok i just reinstalled with an XP cd
everything seems to be working fine but... i have another problem now
it indicates i have 60gb of data unaccounted for
i cant seem to find where it is coming from, i was hoping to restore it completely new w/o using a recovery cd since i lost mines"

...Oh yes you dooo..... anyway, i wasn't chipping you, not my job, i was merely pointing out in a mild way that i had posted on this problem in the other thread.
Are you sorted yet? I was wondering if you ran fixmbr if that would rewrite the partition table in the mbr to show the hidden partition.. dunno, never had this partic problem...

Be a part of the DaniWeb community

We're a friendly, industry-focused community of developers, IT pros, digital marketers, and technology enthusiasts meeting, networking, learning, and sharing knowledge.